Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a GE JGP970TEK cooktop that will not adjust down low

Customer Question

I have a GE JGP970TEK cooktop that will not adjust down low enough for simmer. I have changed to the supplied propane orifices, adjusted the pressure regulator and tried to adjust the low flame setting but it still does not go low enough. The low flame adjusting screw only turns about a quarter turn. Is there something else I can do? Or can I purchase different orifices, heads, or anything else to make this work?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

on the surface burner valve there is a small adjustment screw behind the knob, this adjusts the flame down, try turning it clockwise a small amount at a time and see if the flame goes down. not the silver Phillips head screws the gold flat head screw to the left . let me know if that does it.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
did you get a chance to try that? haven't heard back from you. let me know when you do. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
As stated in my original post, I've already tried that. The flame does adjust slightly but as I said, the screw only turns about a quarter of a turn and it does lower the flame to a "simmer". Liquid still boils at a rapid pace with everything set at minimum. This is true on all of the burners and not just one or two of them.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

well on some they don't adjust down that much. there are only like one or two that are designed to simmer. sorry i misunderstood your first post.

Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Brian, you didn't do much to help as I already tried all that you suggested. HOwever, I am accepting your response because you did at least send a diagram. Now here's the right answer as I have seen this question posted on several sites. These models do indeed turn down to simmer. As I stated, I could only get the adjustment to turn about a quarter of a turn. And while all of my attempts failed initially, I finally got so mad that I didn't care if I broke the thing. Seems there is some "lok tite type material that I finally broke loose and wa-la, it turned like it was supposed to. Now when the next person ask this question, you can tell them that have to turn the adjustment screw HARD to get it to turn more than just a little bit
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay, well I appreciate that, some have loktite . usually its there so people don't adjust them but in some cases you need to. obviously in your case it needed to be done, good job and thanks so much. best wishes, Bryan