Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a 2004 GE Profile side by side refrigerator, model #PSH23PGRA

Customer Question

I have a 2004 GE Profile side by side refrigerator, model #PSH23PGRA CC which recently stopped cooling adequately. I had appliance repairmen come out and so far have replaced the main board (with the special part #), the exhaust fan and finally the compressor. The refrigerator now cools, but neither the refrigerator or freezer will come up to selected temperature. The freezer side temps hover between 4* and 24* (it's set @ 0) and the refrigerator hovers between 43*and 55* (it's set at 35*), somewhat in sync with the defrost cycle. If you have any ideas, please help. The repairmen list being GE certified in their adds, but can't seem to figure this problem out.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

when you open the freezer is there any frost buildup on the back panel inside behind the food ? is the fan running in the freezer section ? did the tech replace the condenser fan or the evaporator fan. the evaporator fan is inside the freezer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There is no frost buildup.

The tech replaced the evaporator fan inside the freezer; initially put in wrong fan, but corrected next day. Not sure if it's running...will you hear it when you open the freezer? I know compressor is running and what sounds like another fan until refrigerator door is openned.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
yes you should hear the fan when you open the freezer. hold the door light switch in when you open it. you should hear the fan running. let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The fan IS running when I do what you said.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay do you think you can remove the back panel in the freezer behind the food and check the frost pattern on the evaporator coils ? this is important.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes...stand by
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Cover is off.
Frost on 2 lowest bars...rest clear, if that makes sense. Do you want me to try and send a picture?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
With door shut 5 mins, now frost on lower 1/3 of coil = 4 bars.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay can you let this run for another half hour and tell me what the coils look like then ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes. I will text back in 30 mins...25 past the hour.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Approx 1/2 lower part has frost..upper is clear. Temps 32/53
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay , well this is a sealed system problem. its either low on freon or theres a blockage in the lines, either one would need to be repaired by an HVAC tech. the coils should be evenly frost across all of them. I would call another company to be honest to check this. the tech you had doesn't seem to know what he's doing. its definitely a sealed system issue.sorry for the bad news. best wishes and thanks , Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok..that's in line with what I was thinking. I think your suggestion is right on. Thanks for the help and diagnosis.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
your very welcome, thanks and best wishes, Bryan