Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Frigidaire 20.7 cu ft compressor is not running and food on

Frigidaire 20.7 cu ft compressor is not running and food on top shelf is thawing. it is not a frost free freezer
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

If the compressor is not running, then touch the compressor and is it really hot or is it room temperature?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is very hot to the touch, can only put the tip of finger on for a second. the other frigidaire is almost as hot , but it is running. Also the sides of the freezer is very warm(the one that has not been noticed compressor running all day. I turned it up and still not running.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
This means that your compressor is overloading and cutting out. It will turn off for a few minutes and then try again over and over. Pull the refrigerator forward and unplug the refrigerator. Remove the lower back access panel and locate your large black round compressor. There is a small plastic box attached to the side of the compressor with several wires going into it. This is your overload relay. Pull the overload relay off the compressor and shake it. If it rattles, then it needs to be replaced. If it doesn't rattle, then you likely have a bad compressor and you'll need to call a technician in order to replace the compressor.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the relay does not lmake any noise, does not rattle
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
ok then unfortunately you have a problem with the compressor itself. Somtimes letting it cool down for 24 hours will get it to unseize, but it will just happen again in a few weeks even if it temporarily fixes. The compressor needs to be replaced to fix the problem you are having.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
approximately how much is compressor, time and material. a new one is 584, the freezer. How much would the comprressor be, would it warrant changing out and recharging? have you done this?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
A compressor is about $550 so you might want to just replace the refrigerator if it's over a year old. This is not something you can replace yourself and there is only 1 year warranty on the compressor.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry, the website was experiencing some issues and you may not have been able to continue responding. Is there anything else I can help you with today?
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
being the relay does not rattle, can i let compressor cool and plug back in , intermittantly, so i can keep the food relatively cold. the new compressor is down in the basement, actually freezer, not compressor. I was told to leave the new one set 24 hours. It this correct. we leaned the freezer almost upside down to get in the basement. let me know how long it can be unplugged b4 i can appreciate a new system.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
You can definitely try that. There is no guarantee that letting it cool down will get the compressor to cool down. If you put the refrigerator upside down to get it into the basement, then you could have a restriction which is even worse than a bad compressor because then you'll need a heat exchanger and a new compressor. No amount of time will allow the refrigeration oil to get back into the compressor if the refrigerator wasn't transported in the upright position.

It's somewhat of a myth that letting the refrigerator set will let the oil settle back into the compressor. While that does work 1 in 100 times, it doesn't work consistant enough to call that a fix. There is just no way to get the refrigerator working again if you leak it more than 45 degrees or so and dump the oil out of the compressor and into the refrigeration lines.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc