Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Bryan, You helped me back in September with my GE Profile

Customer Question

Bryan,

You helped me back in September with my GE Profile fridge. We replaced the fan motor and the main control board. You were a big help back then, so I'd like to have you help me with a similar problem on the same fridge.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

okay what is the issue ? I would need to go back and look up our last session but its easier if you let me know whats going on with it. I'll be glad to help.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have a side by side GE Profile fridge. The fridge isn't cooling (it's around 60 degrees). The freezer is still freezing, though. The compressor is warm, so that would indicate it's probably still running. The fan motor is running.

We recently had some electrical work done, so I'm guessing the on and off of all the cirucits might have fried something that is electrical, but I'm not sure. It perfectly coincided with all the wiring we had done.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
can you open the freezer and look behind your food and tell me if theres any frost on the back panel ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It doesn't look like there's any frost on the back panel of the freezer. There is a very small amount of frost on the light inside the freezer and on the door itself. But it's not a lot and there's none on the back panel.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay , theres definitely no airflow to the fresh food section. can you remove the panel behind the food and take a look at the frost pattern on the coils ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sure, give me a few minutes. I have my drill ready to go. I'll get back to you in a few...
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The only panel I see is the one on the bottom of the fridge. Is that the one? If so, I'm assuming you're talking about the coils next to the compressor that the fan is blowing on, right? If so, they look normal--that is, they're not frozen.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

actually I need you to remove the panel inside the freezer behind your food, you will need to empty the freezer to get to it, can you do that? panel # XXXXX on this diagram.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can do that. But do you know if there's a way to remove the drawers in the freezer and just set them aside somehow? That would be easiest.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
usually you can open the drawer and lift up on the whole door and remove it that way, there are slots it drops into. let me know if you get that off.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I got the top two drawers out. The bottom drawer seems pretty well screwed into the drawer guides.

I got the two screws out showing in the diagram. I'm not 100% sure how the panel comes off now. It looks like there are tabs, but they're super hard to get at. What would I be looking for if I can get the panel off?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
there are tabs at the top where the vent part is, I need to step out to do some important papers I need to send, I will be back shortly I hope, if not and you get stuck you can ask to re list this question and someone will pick it up and help you. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I got the bottom drawer out by unscrewing some screws. I reached my fingers inside behind the panel and there is a LOT of frost there. What should I do next? Or, should I just let it defrost and retry letting it cool? It was unplugged multiple times for short periods when we were having electrical work done, so maybe that's what caused the frost?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Bryan had to step away to do some paperwork.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
I'm back sorry, I had to get some papers faxed before 4 today, Did you get the panel out ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I got the panel out. I think I've narrowed it down to either the thermostate or the heater. Does that sound right?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
yes on that refrigerator though its not usually the heater, the thermostat is almost always the cause, the heater is a cal rod and they hardly ever go on these. in fact I don't believe I've ever replaced a heater in one of these. heres the thermostat for the defrost. heres a link to order it. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Defrost-Thermostat/WR50X10047/1092770?modelNumber=PFS22SBSBSS thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Cool. I see it now that I have the door off and I think the wires are exactly that color. I should test it for continuity, right?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
it should test for continuity only when its cold , once they warm up the thermostat opens and theres no more continuity after 50 degrees.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Understood. So I could put it in some ice water and test it tht way. Last question (I think): Do you remember having to cut the wires and resplice them when you've done it in the past? It doesn't look like there a way to separate it otherwise???
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
yes , you cut the wires, it comes with wire nuts to install the new one. were the freezer coils all frosted up ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Oh, the freezer coils were totally iced over!!! I had to use a hair dryer to defrost the area where the thermostat was. I'll cut the wires.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay, if you have it completely defrosted stick the cover back in until the part arrives. it will run correctly for around 30 days before it ices up again, this will give you plenty of time to get the part.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Everything is already out of the fridge and in another spare fridge, so I'll just wait for the part. No big deal. I'm going to cut the wires, stick in a different freezer until it can open back up, and test it for continuity. If there isn't continuity, I'll order the part, then pay and tip you like last time.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
thats a great way to test it. let me know if its bad, also the heater should have continuity at all times so you might as well test it also to be sure. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm assuming I can test the defrost heater as it is now with the thermodisc cut away from it and the fridge unplugged. If so, it has continuity. I'll let you know about thte thermodisc once it has sat in the freezer for a while.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
yes you can test the heater that way. its rare that these go but you never know. thanks and talk again soon. Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay, the theromdisc is in a glass of frozen water. It still tests at 0 ohms, showing no resistance. Is it possible that the thermodisc is stuck shut? If not, what's next?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
its bad if there no resistance. you need to replace it, thats what tells the heater to come on and off. good job. replace it and your all set. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Bryan. I definitely haven't forgotten to pay you. I replaced the thermodisc (thermostat) and the sensor (the long wire with a thing on the end that looks like a probe) on Wednesday and put it all back together. It is cooling and keeping the right temperature. I wanted to wait about a week under normal use to make sure it didn't frost back up again. I was thinking that if it did, then the main control board would need to be replaced (again). Once that's done, I think it's safe to assume the problem is fixed.

As an aside, the thermodisc is weird on the GE fridges. The old one showed it was closed and had continuity when I cut it off. When I got the new one, even that one showed it was closed and had continuity. That's why I also replaced the sensor because it seemed weird that the new one was also closed??? That's what also made me want to wait a few days before paying.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
thats fine. when you tested the new thermostat did you do it while it was warm or did you chill it first ? they only close when their cold. below freezing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I tested the thermostat right out of the bag. In fact, I tested it in the appliance store and then again when I got home. So it wasn't cold and it was still closed.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
it was closed and had continuity when it was warm ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes. The GE ones are weird and apparently made differently. When I was in the appliance store, we tested the new GE brand thermostat and it was closed. The one I took out of the fridge when warm was also closed. When I was standing in the store, we tested another non-GE brand. The non-GE brand one was open. So, yes, the GE brand one, when warm, was closed.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
well i would let it run and see what happens. let me know, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yep, that's what I'll do. So far so good. A couple more days should let us know if it's fixed or not.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay let me know if that works, I will be around all week. thanks Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

I haven't heard back from you is everything running okay? let me know thanks, Bryan

Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for checking back, Bryan. Yep, everything still seems fine. It has been about 10 days, so unless you disagree, I hope that should be enough time. You've been a great help (again!!). Like I did this time, I'll keep you in mind for the future or if this fridge acts up again, which it might...and never buy a GE appliance--lesson learned!!
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
thanks so much. Its my pleasure to help you, have a great weekend and it sounds like its running correctly.you still have 30 days to come back if anything else arises, no additional charges, thanks, Bryan