Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Hi, I have a Maytag top load washing machine, model # XXXXX

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Maytag top load washing machine, model # XXXXX A couple of days ago turned it on and went upstairs. a couple of minutes late it was squeeling and then smoking. after the smoked cleared I tought I would see what still works. The rinse and spin cycles worked. The wash cycle did not. The agitator for the wash cycle did not work, but did for the rinse cycle. What would be your suggestion to repair this??
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

yes you should replace the belts, let me take a look at your model I'll be right back. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
okay the first thing you should do on this is tip the machine back and lean it against the wall, roll the belts of the pulleys, check the belts good, then spin the big pulley in the center of the machine and make sure the tub spins freely. one direction is for spin the other for agitate check both and let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I would say that it goes more freely clockwise than counter clockwise
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
okay is clockwise turning the big tub when you do it ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
okay it seems like the bearing is okay then, I would replace the belts. you have to replace both at once in this machine. you can order them at the following link, http://www.repairclinic.com/Belt-Parts?s=t-LAT8500ABV-%3d%3dc7 this will take care of the issue. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
HI Bryan, I just changed out my belts and the wash cycle still does not work. What would you suggest next?
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
is the machine agitating ? is it just the spin cycle that doesn't work?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It does not agitate through the wash cylce but does agitate the other way in the spin cycle when removing the water. So it agitates one way but not the other.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
can you remove the belts and spin the pulley the direction that it goes in for agitate and see if the agitator moves?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I can move it to the right or clockwise quite easily but turning it in the opposite direction is quite difficult. I can move it but not easily.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
do you know if the agitator moves?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it does move but moving it is difficult.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
okay on the side of the agitator itself theres a 1/4" screw holing it on, can you remove the screw and pull the agitator off? you need to see if you have something under it caught. also turn the smaller pulley in the front right corner underneath and see if that turns freely both directions.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Got the agitator off. Nothing underneath. Pully in top right corner goes both ways freely.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
okay unfortunately thats not the best news. it means the transmission has an issue and is binding up inside on the agitate cycle. this is a big job to replace. and expensive.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
from what your saying it probably broke a gear and is jamming up. the transmission runs around $230.00 plus you need special tools to replace it. sorry for the bad news.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok thanks, Will start looking for a new machine.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
okay , sorry. we tried. thanks Bryan