Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

We have a maytag epic z washer with an f 24 error code. Any

Customer Question

We have a maytag epic z washer with an f 24 error code. Any suggestions?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

"F24" is an indication of a water temperature sensor (NTC) error, or Heating Circuit failure. Check the Water Temperature Sensor and check connections to the Water Temperature Sensor.

To access, you will have to UNPLUG your washer and remove the lower access panel under the door. The panel comes off by removing the screws under the bottom edge. HINT: If you place a 2 x 4 under the front feet of the washer, it will make access to the screws much easier. If the panel sticks, a tap on the sides will knock it free. The panel will drop down then come off. The sensor (NTC) is located at the base of the wash tub in the front on the heating element. This will be a small square shaped plug between the heating element terminals. Make sure this plug is secure and not loose or unplugged. It is common for the connector plug to come loose due to vibration. If the plug is intact, check the contacts for corrosion. If everything appears as it should, then unplug the wire harness and take a resistance check. Readings will be as follows:

Temperature Meter Reading
32°F (0°C) 35.9 K ohms
86°F (30°C) 9.7 K ohms
104°F (40°C) 6.6 K ohms
122°F (50°C) 4.6 K ohms
140°F (60°C) 3.2 K ohms
158°F (70°C) 2.3 K ohms
203°F (95°C) 1 K ohms

Roughly...around 10K ohms at room temperature if I'm reading the chart correctly. Take readings as listed and also double check the connector to make sure it is not oxidized. Try cleaning the plug and reconnecting to see if the error code goes away. If not, you will probably have to replace the sensor. If the sensor checks good, take a reading across the heating element terminals. It should indicate about 15 ohms.

Lastly, remove the washer top panel by removing the three screws holding the panel in place in the rear. Once the screws are removed, slide the panel back then off. Locate the Central Control Unit (CCU) directly behind the wash tub. Take a resistance check at the Heating Element Solenoid by removing connector 9 from the CCU (this is the second connector from the RIGHT as facing from the front). A reading across test points 1 & 2 should also read 15 ohms.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is there some sort of diagram or other info so that I can be sure of what I am looking at is right?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Can I get your model number so that I can be sure to link you the correct diagram? It should be located on a sticker just inside the door way if you open the door.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
maytag epic z model (8540249 is one of the #s on the back)
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
That's not the model but that's OK. Below is a diagram that should be for your washer.

CLICK HERE

24 is the thermistor and 13 is the heater, so it may actually be coming in from the lower back left corner of the tub on this washer, not the front. That would mean you'd need to remove the back panel to check.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can't get into door - it is locked and I can't get it open in spite of any function I try.

Thank you for your time and effort. It is obvious to me at this point that I am probably better off calling in a repairman and let him figure this out. I am happy to pay you for the info you have given me. My biggest problem is that the dryer is sitting on top of the washer and I don't have anyone available to help me remove it at this point. All connections I can get to or see seem to be intact
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
If you just need to open the door, you can do that. But it looks like on this model you will need to pull the washer out to remove the back panel and access the parts you need to test/replace.

If your door happens to be locked (this happens sometimes with this error), remove the 3 screws along the bottom of the lower front panel. The panel will then pull straight down and off. Once you remove this panel you can reach up behind the upper front panel and pull down on the small plastic pull tab attached to the bottom of the door lock assembly. This will manually unlock the door so you can open the door.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks the model # XXXXX XXXXX The link you gave me earlier, I could not get into.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Ok well the heater is definitely in the back left corner then and below is a link to an image once again.

CLICK HERE

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
once again, I was hoping this would be something easy to reach and fix. Thank you for your time.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
no problem and sorry the fix isn't a bit easier but I wish you the best of luck.