Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

My Fisher-Paykal dryer is making a bumping, knocking noise.

My Fisher-Paykal dryer is making a bumping, knocking noise. I have cleaned it out and it seems to be coming from the motor compartment.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Belts actually don't make noises on dryers because they don't spin fast enough like in a car. If the nise is coming from near the motor, make sure there is nothing stuck in the blower wheel that the blower wheel is hitting or that the wheel is cracked. If it checks good, then there isn't much you can do but to replace the motor itself.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi again,

I checked the back of the dryer and the motor seems fine. The noise is coming from the back (side I can't see when looking back to front) of the wheel that is connected to the vent hose. Is that the blower wheel that you were talking about? I can't see anything stuck or any cracks in the wheel itself. It turns easily. I can't see into that compartment at all past the wheel.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
Yes, that is the blower wheel. If the noise is coming from the blower wheel area, then you'll need to take it apart to see if there is anything inside the blower wheel compartment, and if not then just replace the blower wheel.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Taking apart the blower wheel compartment looks a little too complicated for my handiness, unless you can suggest an easy way to do it. If I arrange for service, should I just tell them that I think the problem is with the blower wheel compartment so they bring the needed parts?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
It's definitely not an easy process so if you call a service company just ask them to bring out a blower wheel because they definitely won't be carrying one on the truck normally since it's not a really common part that fails.