Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

MY GE SIDE BY SIDE REFRIGERATOR/FREEZER STOPPED COOLING. It

MY GE SIDE BY SIDE REFRIGERATOR/FREEZER STOPPED COOLING. It will start after being unpluged for a while. It will start cooling again but stops when the freezer reaches about 40 degrees (two hours) - tere is a small click (from the circuit board?) and it stops again.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

unfortunately this is an all to common problem with these refrigerators. can you open the refrigerator section and look on the side walls or the ceiling and get me the full model # ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
GSS520DBPC WW - and it will not restart on it's own -it must be unplugged and sit a while -
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
okay I still cant bring up your model, is this an American refrigerator ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
sorry - GSS20dbp ww
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
okay great ! got it. the board is a WR55X10942 as you probably already know where it is thats good. you do need to replace it. you can search on line for the best price, it varies quite a bit depending on where you purchase it. heres one link to order it but its $170.00 there, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Main-Control-Board/WR55X10942/1531075?modelNumber=GSS20DBPDWW they do however have a no questions asked return policy. these come with instructions and you can replace it yourself. hope this helps, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Okay - but it doesn't look like the same board - similar but yours seems to have more of the square boxes. And - what do you think which portion (FUNCTION) of the board is malfunctioning?
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
yes this is the redesigned board by G.E. , they had problems with the originals so they redesigned them, they fit other refrigerators also thats why they look a little different. this is the replacement for yours. thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
okay - thanks - at least it's fixable
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
yes it is, thanks and have a great night, please don't forget to accept if I've helped, well wishes, Bryan