Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

We have a self defrosting refrigerator, Kenmore model # XXXXX

We have a self defrosting refrigerator, Kenmore model # XXXXX (NNN) NNN-NNNN
serial number EC(NNN) NNN-NNNN Type of fridge...C21BFA93.

It keeps icing over in the back of the freezer compartment , and the fridge then runs constantly. what do you think it could be?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX,X XXXX forward to helping you today.

can you check the model # XXXXX. it does start with 106. but the rest of the #s don't come up. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the number inside the door says...C21BFA93
The other numbers are as I wrote before and they are located inside the freezer compartment of the fridge.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
the c21bfa93 doesn't come up, the model # XXXX start with 106 though
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok so the numbers I gave you for the model number are all I have except the 0 may be an O...it has a line drawn through it.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay well still cant bring it up. anyway we can still figure it out. is this a side by side ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No it is a large fridge with a freezer at the bottom.
Also we are wondering what the normal thermostat should be set to.
We have ours set to 2 and the air balance to 2
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
how high does the settings go ? it should be halfway on each. okay bottom freezer, is the fan running in the freezer ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Everything is running...we cleaned all the ice out about 2 months ago and then it ran fine, but now in the past few days it has frozen over again...we have removed all the ice again, so the cooling coils are clear again.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay there are three possible causes for this, I'll list them as most likely first. 1 the defrost thermostat is bad (most likely)

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
you will find this clipped to the top of the silver coils where you defrosted. the second most likely part that may have failed is the defrost timer, (its like a clock)

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
that because I cant pull up your model I don't know where its located in your refrigerator. and the last thing but its unlikely because these hardly ever fail is the defrost heater itself.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
yours should be a cal rod similar to the one here. its is under the coils, one of these three things is the cause, these are the only three parts to the defrost system.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
are you still there ? do you still need help? let me know, thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.