Tech Michael
Tech Michael, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ years exp. repairing all types of home appliances, Computer repair
11519491

Samsung dryer wont start. Model #DV218AGB/XAA Power

Customer Question

Samsung dryer won't start.

Model #DV218AGB/XAA

Power is on at the control panel. Power switch works. When I press the start button I can hear the relay to start being made. Door switch appears to be okay, the light works and goes out when the door is closed. I replaced the thermal fuse.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tech Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi My name isXXXXX and Im here to help you.
Ok, please let me know how the dryer spins when you turn it manually.
Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The dryer does not run at all.

How would I turn it on manually?
Hi, all you need to do is open the dryer door and hand turn the drum, I just need to know how it turns and also any noises or resistance.
Thank you
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The drum turns freely. There is no resistance. In fact, it feels as though the belt may be off. I'm going to open it up and check that.
Hi, it sounds like that could be one problem but if the motor wont run then the motor has probably failed as well.
You get a replacement from Cashwell Appliance(NNN) NNN-NNNN
They are cost effective, reliable and usually ship the same day.
Give em a trySmile
And please if you need further assitance please ask
Please note, pressing the ACCEPT button does NOT close your question. It actually keeps me in the loop with you, and allows me to set up a follow up appointment with you.
I will still be here for you until the job is complete and you are satisfied!
Thank You
Tech Michael
Tech Michael, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ years exp. repairing all types of home appliances, Computer repair
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I it were just a broken belt, would the motor still start and run?

How can I check the motor?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Would the motor still turn on and run with the broken belt?

How can I check the motor?
Hi, you can locate the switch above the pulley near the drive motor.
If you depress it and someone presses the start button and the motor runs all you will need is the belt.
And that is the likely cause just a broken belt
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay.

I opened the dryer. The belt is shot. Part of it is still whole and wraps around the drum, so I have to cut that off, but there was a bucn of shredded belt around the tension pulley and the motor drive pulley.

I'll at least need a belt. Now to try to check the motor.
Hi, hopefully it just the belt. But when the belt wrapped around the motor pulley it may have cause it to fail or blow the thermal again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm not finding a switch on the motor as you mentioned. I can feel what feels like a switch on the bottom of the motor near where the drive pulley is. It is on the bottom side, could that be it?

Also, how do I get the drum out to replace the belt?
Hi, the switch if it had one would be between the pulley and and the motor, like in between.
Now as for the drum, you usually dont need to remove that to install the belt.
Check out this video please let me know if it helps.
If not I will try to find you another.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obaoSDbzYrM
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There is what feels like a switch. It's on the housing of the motor, at the rear where the drive shaft exits. Kind of on the housing. It "clicks" like a switch should.

I plugged the door switch back in and tried to start the motor while holding this switch in and nothing. Maybe the motor is gone too. Is that the only way to check it. I'll probably have to pull the drum to replace the motor, I'm guessing.
Hi yes in this case that is the kill switch.
It means the motor is probably ok

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

The video isnt perfect but it should help
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay. So you think that because the switch is operating like a switch should feel that it is okay and the motor is okay?

But shouldn't the motor have come on when I had that pressed in, the door switch plugged in and the door closed and tried to turn the dryer on?
Yes, but you can test it by manually operating the switch while someone presses the start button and you should hear and see the motor run. But if you do use caution so as not to get a shock!!!
I would just buy the belt if I were you and try it, that is probably all you need.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Michael,

Thanks for the help so far.

Last night, after I sent that last note I checked that switch. I'll try to describe the action of the switch.

The switch is mounted on the bottom. When I touch the switch it hangs in the down position. When I push up on the switch, it moves up and "clicks" like I would expect a switch to. When I let go of the switch, it falls back down. If I push up, it goes up and clicks. Let go and it falls back down.

I ordered a belt and a motor. I can return the motor if I don't need it.

But now I'm wondering if when the belt came apart it damaged this switch and this prevents the motor from running.
http://www.ehow.com/way_5844965_samsung-dryer-belt-installation.html
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Michael,

Good news and bad news.

Good news....

Parts arrived today and I got the belt replaced.

Bad news....

Dryer still is not running.

What next?

Should I replace the motor?

Is there a way to test the motor without replacement?

Is it possible that the switch is damaged?

What next?
Hi , you can test the switch with a meter, just connect one test lead to to each opposing wire and set the meter on continuity when you trigger the switch the meter will beep if the switch is good.
I would assume the switch is likley still good, they dont fail very often. As for the motor with the way the belt got stuck around the motor shaft it is most likley that you will need to replace it unfortunatly.
Keep me posted I will be here to help

Register Here
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So....

We are thinking that when the belt shredded it bound the motor and burned it up.

Rats, I was hoping to return that joker.
Yes because it didnt stop the kill switch and the motor kept trying to run but overheated.
When you remove the motor smell it, if it smells burnt you will know for sure

Register Here
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is there anything else to check before replacing that joker?
Unfortunatly no.
You likely need the motor I know it sucks.
Been there done that too lol.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Alrighty then....

I'm off to replace a dryer motor.

After I help an impatient nine year old with a computer.

Thanks Michael

Hopefully this is it.
It should be have a great night I will be here if you need.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Michael,

More bad news.....

Replaced the motor,

Dryer still does not run.
Hi good morning, You need to test the thermal limits the one looks alomst like a plastic fuse, it has two wired clips running to it. Please remove the wires and plug them together temporarily being careful they dont touch any other metal. Then try it once more.
If it runs, you need to replace the thermal and the old motor is likely still good.
Keep me up to date.
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The thermal fuse should show continuity, correct? A reading of near zero on the multimeter if it is good. I have two new thermal fuses that show a reading of one.

Should I also check the thermostat(s). If they are good (continuity) they should be near zero as well, correct?
Hi, I usually set my meter to the continuity setting, but you are correct.
The thermal should show continuity, near 0 is not good, 1 is more like it.
You want a connection and I will bet one of them if not both is bad.
once I find the suspect part I test it but then jump it out and connect the two wires together
and see if it runs, that will tell you for sure. As for the thermostats they should still be good.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Michael,

I tried to jumper the thermal fuse, the dryer still did not work.

I think I may be a bit confused and confusing you. I set my meter to read resistance (Ohms). When I touch the leads, I get a reading of near zero indicating little resistance and good continuity. When I check the thermal fuses (I have four, of which three are new) I get a reading of one, which would indicate a lot of resistance (open circuit). When I checked the thermostat, I got a reading of near zero, which it seems would indicate a good thermostat.

I'm really lost on this one.
Hi, It sounds like you understand the meter though and thats a good thing.
Does your meter have a position where it will make a tone when you touch one lead to another? Usually continuity or diode setting.
Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My meter does not have the tone feature.
Ok, it would have helped.
have you tested the switch also, try that while activating the switch to see that you are getting a reading that changes when you do that.
You could also jump out the switch to see if that works, somwhere you have either a bad switch or thermal.
Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'll check some switches, door and such.

It just seems to me that the reading for the four thermal fuses is incorrect and that they are the problem. I just find it odd that I have four fuses, three of them new and they are all bad.
I would just jump them all out and see if that solves the issue, then try adding one back at a time til you find the dead one

Register Here
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Michael,

I checked the door switch, that's okay. I checked the thermostat and the radiant sensor on the burner, those are okay. I checked continuity on the old motor, that's okay.

Unless I'm doing something wrong, I am at a complete loss for what to try next. I suppose it could be the control panel, but I have no idea how to check that.
It is possible that condsidering the way it broke, that the panel itself has been damaged but you cant fix or test that other than if everything else checks out that would be you next step. I was just about to tell you that you may need a new main board.
Thats what I would do myself in this situation because if you are sure that the fuses are all good and the switch as well, then replace the main board that should do it.
Tech Michael

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'll order the board and see what happens.

Thanks Michael
Ok keep me posted!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Michael,

Another question.....

I went back to the dryer to check something else that came across my mind. I checked voltage at the plug that goes to the door switch. There are three posts on the door switch. We'll call them back, middle and front.

At the plug that goes onto the door switch is where I am checking voltage.

Back post to ground 120v

Middle post to ground 120v

Front post to ground 0v

Does that sound correct?
Yep that is correct!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've replaced the motor.

I was just wondering if those readings may indicate a bad PC board.
Hi no they dont sorry, the board really just probably burnt up too, when your belt went bad it did it in an abnormal way and that is why so much got damaged.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay. I've got the boards ordered.

Thanks for the help.
Thats good, let me know how it goes have a good weekend.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Michael,

The PC Boards arrived today. There are two for this dryer. The control panel board, the one on the front that has the dial dryer selection, temperature selection, dry level, power switch and start switch. The other board is inside the dryer.

I replaced the board on the inside of the dryer first. My thinking was that I get the light on the control panel so that may not be bad. After replacing the inside board and hooking everything back up, no go.

I replaced the control panel board, hooked everything up and the dryer works.

Thanks for your help.

I'm not sure what happened. Maybe when the belt broke it burned something on the control panel board. Maybe it was just a coincident, simultaneous failure. Certainly not an easy repair to figure out.

Again, thanks for your help.