Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  23 Years Major Appliance Repair
14958677

My GE washer wont spin or drain

My GE washer won't spin or drain
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bob L Your Appl Pal replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer ..If it seems to be taking a while..This only means I'm reviewing a solution to your problem..Sorry you are having a problem with your washer..From what you are explaining..More than likely the washers lid switch is faulty..First check the lid switch #388...Open the lid..Make sure the small plastic actuator #215 is still intact..If by looking down from the lid ,you can see thru inside the cabinet where the lid switch is..Then the actuator has fallen off...And will not actuate the lid switch..Which will cause your problem..The lid switch can be accessed by removing the front panel.Lift up on #373..Pull panel forward.

graphic
Experience: 23 Years Major Appliance Repair
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The lid switch looks fine...what else can i check? P.S. I'am a girl....ha ha ha
First check the outlet the washer is plugged into..Take a hair dryer..Plug it into the outlet..Making sure you have power to begin with..Not much else you can do without a test meter..If you have power you will need to test the lid switch..You can also remove the water from the tub..See if the washer will start (fill ).
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The washed does fill and goes thru the cycle until its suppose to spin and drain. At that point you just hear a buzz like sound and continues and starts all over again
Ok great..Sounds like a motor problem..Take a butter knife..Insert in in between the top of the front panel and the top of the washer at each side ..Lift up on #373..Then pull the front panel off towards you..Once you have it off.Start the washer..Carefully listen for the buzzing sound at the motor..Which is inside the cabinet.
Also once you have the panel off..Check the drain pump..It is located to the right inside the cabinet..If it is buzzing..his means most likely there is something stuck in the pump.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
HOW DO I GET THE BACK OFF THE WASHER?
Remove the front...not the back...lift up on tabs #373
graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

DO I NEED TO GET THE DRAIN PUMP OFF TO SEE IF ITS CLOGGED? IF SO, HOW DO I DO THAT?

You can normally tell if you run the washer ans carefully the drain pump..For excessive vibration..You said that you heard a buzzing sound..This was only to give you a idea of where the buzzing sound is coming from..Is it coming from the motor..? The drain pump..? Or the control panel..?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok, how do i check to see if something is stuck in the pump?

Is this where the sound is coming from..?
If so..Empty the tub..Then remove the two drain hoses at the drain pump..Be warned if there is water in the tub..Once you remove the hoses you will get water draining onto the bottom of the cabinet..

As one of the Experts, I assist customers, like you, for a living, it is not a hobby or a pastime. I furnish information to you in good faith and hope that you will respect the honor system in the Terms of Service and press the "Submit" button so that I receive credit for my time and effort in assisting you, and a small portion of the deposit you made with Just answer. Unless a customer presses the "Submit" button, I do not receive any credit, or payment. I hope you can appreciate my position...Thanks Bob