Tim Alan
Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Amana, A&E (Whirlpool) ,and Maytag factory service
51145682

My gas oven/range is taking forever to preheat. It also occasionally

My gas oven/range is taking forever to preheat. It also occasionally makes some popping noises?? I am not sure what to do. It is a Maytag Advanced cooking system (new in2002) Not sure about where to find model #
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.

Tim Alan :

Hi my name isXXXXX will try to help you with your issue.

Tim Alan :

A slow preheat and or extended heating times along with the popping noises is an indication of a weak oven igniter. Replacing the oven igniter will solve that issue.

Tim Alan :

Now some popping noises are normal in all ovens, that could be due to expansion and contraction of the metal also.

Tim Alan :

The model number should be on a tag either down at the bottom or on top of the copntrol panel depending on what type of unit you have.

Customer:

Found it MGR5750BDW

Tim Alan :

Ok thank you

Tim Alan :

74007498 is the part number for the oven igniter and can be accessed by removing the bottom panel inside the oven.

Tim Alan :

Full Size Image

Tim Alan :

That is the oven igniter, sears parts has them, partselect, appliance parts pros and appliance zone are others. You can also type in appliance parts to bring up your local listings.

Customer:

It looks pretty simple to install. What are normal preheat times?? My oven took 45 minutes to preheat to 425 yesterday.

Tim Alan :

The burner should light within a minute on this range 8-10 minutes to reach 350 and for 425 12-15 minutes at most 45 minutes is way too long

Customer:

i agree! So 100% that it is the igniter? The part is pretty pricey.

Tim Alan :

The igniter is pretty simple, a trick would be removing the screws that hold it to the burner, spray on some cooking spray directly on to the threads or dap some oil on them to make them easier to remove. Check around for a cheaper igniter prices very on those. Yes I am 100 percent sure that a new igniter will fix the problem.

Customer:

Is this the right part? On amazon for $35 not bad

Maytag Gas Range Oven Ignitor 74007498 Glowbar
Tim Alan :

Yes a glow bar would be another name and the part number is XXXXX 35 bucks is a good price

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

Thank you so much for your advice and help.

Tim Alan :

I don't know why the picture shows it without the connecter though.

Tim Alan :

You may have to cut and splice the wires together or use wire nuts

Tim Alan :

but that is acceptible

Customer:

I will give a go. thanks again

Tim Alan :

Your welcome have a great day and thank you.

Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Amana, A&E (Whirlpool) ,and Maytag factory service