Tim Alan
Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Amana, A&E (Whirlpool) ,and Maytag factory service
51145682

My Kenmore gas dryer does not heat. It is about 10 years old.

Customer Question

My Kenmore gas dryer does not heat. It is about 10 years old. What should I do to trouble shoot the problem?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.

Tim Alan :

Hi my nanme is Tim, I will try and help you with your issue.

Tim Alan :

Can you please type the model number again try leaving spaces between the numbers

Customer:

110.7 6 7 1 2 6 9 3

Tim Alan :

Ok thank you let me take a look at the unit and I will be right back, Just to be clear on the problem it is running but you are not getting any heat is that correct?

Customer:

Correct

Tim Alan :

Ok thank you I will be right back

Tim Alan :

Ok on this particular unit a no heat issue is normally due to a blown thermal fuse, the thermal fuse is located on the back of the dryer that would be the first thing to check. Do you happen to have a volt ohm meter?

Tim Alan :

The thermal fuse is accessed by removing the rear panel of the unit.

Customer:

No

Tim Alan :

Ok, you can bypass the fuse to check to see if it's heating, you do that by putting the wires togetther that connect to the thermal fuse. Make sure you unplug the unit first, connect the wires together and make sure they are not touching any metal or your not touching them and then turn it on. If it heats the thermal fuse is bad.

Tim Alan :

Full Size Image

Customer:

Tim, I have an appointment for service between 1 and 5 today. Thanks for your insight. I will mention it to the service man if he seems to need help.

Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Amana, A&E (Whirlpool) ,and Maytag factory service
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 2 years ago.
If the thermal fuse is blown make sure that the dryer vent is clear and also replace the operating or cycling thermostat, that is recommended by the manufacturer.