The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

I have a whirlpool gold refrigerator. The freezer is nice and

I have a whirlpool gold refrigerator. The freezer is nice and cold but the refrigerator is not. What's wrong?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 2 years ago.

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer.

Open the refrigerator and tell me if you can feel cool air being circulated into the refrigerator. Feel around the top of the frige section for this.That is where it will be strongest.

Also need to know if there is any frost build up ast the back of the freezer section (inside not outside).

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Occassionally, we feel a little cold air move from the freezer to the fridge. I chekced to make sure that wasn't blocked

There was some frost build up this past week. The frost build up was inside fridge around the vent. Now there is some inside the freezer.

Also the door air control seems to work fine

Ok you probably have an automatic defrost system that has failed.

What you can do is use a hair dryer and direct the warm air into the louvers/vents of the freezer compartment. Run it for at least 15 minuets. That will manually defrost the evaporator coils behind the back cover of the compartment and allow air to Be blown over them by the freezer fan and into the refer section.

If that works then you will need to call for service. This is not a job for an untrained person. If you test the wrong circuit you can cause more damage than good.

The manual defrosting can be done multiple times if you need to. Each defrosting will give you about 5 days of proper cooling before things start to ice up again.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The freezer was cold but the cold was not making it to the fridge side.

I don't know what happened to the rest of my reply but... Here goes

The louvers had a very thin layer of frost on them a little like a frosted glass with a cold drink. I did do the hair dryer thing. I am waiting to see what happens now. I hope it works.

If the evaporator cpoils are iced up no air can be blown over them by the evporator fan (freezer fan). If the air cnt be blown past the coils it wont make it to the refrigerator section.

All of your units cooling comes from the evap coils at the back of the freezer section.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They weren't frozen up. They had a very think layer of frost. The air could blow past the coils. It just seems to not be blowing from freezer side to fridge side.

I know there is the "cold air inlet" on the top of the fridge where air trickles out but is there another vent to allow for circulation. Or does the air just blow in from the freezer to the fridge and stay there? Which begs the question how would new cold air come in?

There is an air damper at the top of the refrigerator. That is the only other thing that would stop the air flow. It is electronicly controled and besides the defrost system components it is the next biggest failure in this model series.

CLICK HERE to order a new one.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok! I think you are on to something here. My wife said that part was frozen up this past week. She said collecting a lot of ice. This is the device that I expect the air to flow through and it only does a little bit.

Can I replace this device? Or is the a job for a tech?
It isnt hard to replace. Removing the control consol in front of it is the hardest part. A lil mechanical aptitude and you shouldnt have a problem. Couple screws and plastic snap in fittings. It comes out.
Experience: 30 years repairing appliances