Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a Maytag Gas Dryer Model MDG9700 AW. Just replaced

Customer Question

I have a Maytag Gas Dryer Model MDG9700 AW. Just replaced to rear drum supports and rear Drum Panel. Put everything back together...plugged it in...NO lights or anything from the Control Panel. Called in a repair tech. He came in and checked the power and a few other things and told me it was the control board. I replaced it and was careful to ground myself by touching the Washing Machine. Same problem...No lights at all on the control panel. What am I overlooking. Checked all the connections 5 times. all seems OK. Help
Bobby
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

can you tell me which board you replaced ? this one, or the interface ? this one.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Top one ...not one in control panel..

PN WPL 35001153

Bobby

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay, what kind of tests did this tech do ? the control is the most likely suspect in this case, did he test for and power to it ? I'm still not convinced its even a board at all. was this a reputable company ? why would he not repair it for you if he came and diagnosed it ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He works for Mr. Appliance. (a franchise). They do in home appliance repairs. He diagnosed it for $80.00...To replace the board he would have charged me over $500 with labor. I bought board for $179.00. He removed control panel board and checked on/off switch and some other things. I dont know exactly what. I called the tech (whom I know) He is trying to get some answers for me. I'm just frustrated. Simple mechanical replacement turn into big deal.

Bobby

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
yeah thats what makes me leery is you replaced drum supports and now the electronics are bad ? I've worked on thousands of these and other machines and its usually something simple, although I'm not there so its difficult to say. did he check for voltage to the board you replaced? how about voltage to the interface ? unless you did something to short the electronics out which it doesn't seem like you did theres something else, like possibly a pinched or broken wire? wiring thats loose, a plug loose? it just seems strange and I don't want to tell you to replace the interface and find its something loose or broken wire somewhere. do you have a volt meter?
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I know he checked continuity. Dont know if he checked voltage. I have a volt meter

Bobby

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What do you want me to check with volt meter

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Sorry Bobby was tied up for a few minutes. well the thing to check is whether your getting voltage to the board you replaced and then to the interface, the other board. you need to find out where the power stops. there should be a wiring diagram in the machine, it makes it easier to trace . also wiggle the wires on the interface. see if it lights up as you wiggle them. some of these interfaces came from the factory with bad solder joints. check for that also.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I know there is power to the first control board. Checked that yesterday. Tried wiggling the wires on the second board...nothing happened. There is no wiring diagram in the dryer. The tech checked for that. He is getting a wiring diagram for me and will bring it tomorrow. If you think of anything else let me know. Thanks for trying.

Bobby

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
yeah Sorry Bobby, I wish I could give you a definitive answer but it just seems unlikely that this is more than a bad wire or something is loose. if the dryer was unplugged when you worked on it then shorting something out like a board is unlikely. just hate to see you dump more money into this without knowing what it is, it seems like the interface but I just don't see how unless you pinched a wire and shorted it out. let me know what you find. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Im trying to locate a wiring diagram for this unit Check online , cant find it. Maybe if you could point me in the right direction it would be a great help. There was non inside the Dryer body.

Thanks

Bobby

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay I'm checking for that, if I can find it I will try and post the wiring diagram, sometimes the service library wont let us copy, bare with me. thanks Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here