Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a GE Profile Spacemaker 2.0 Microwave Model # XXXXX

I have a GE Profile Spacemaker 2.0 Microwave Model # XXXXX that has developed a problem. Recently it has stopped functioning. It starts up then kicks off leaving us with(NNN) NNN-NNNNon the screen. I have unplugged it and plugged it back in and it'll work fine for a few days then it repeats the above process. Also it loses its clock. Any ideas?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

this indicates the smart board is bad. (main control board) the problem with this repair is the cost, the smart board is $180.00 which is expensive. depending on what you are willing to spend on this its up to you whether you want to go ahead with the repair. the board is available at the link below.

smart board its located behind the touch pad assembly. I hope this info is helpful, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Bryan, I had a repairman out and he said it was a megatron (?) issue and quoted a price of $650.00 to fix it. Your answer makes more sense to me. I am moderately talanted as a repair person so my next question is should I go ahead and order the part and put it in or should I call in another (re:different) repairman?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
well I can tell you the magnetron is not the issue,when magnetron's go it would leave this not heating but still running, the 8888 error is because the board scrambles and thats why when you unplugged it the board reset and ran until it scrambled again, magnetron's don't do that , they either die all together or heat. I don't believe the tech you had knew what he was doing. in fact(NNN) NNN-NNNNis not a valid error code. which in itself tells you the board is faulty. I would contact another company as far as repair goes unless you think you can do this yourself P.S the magnetron if you needed it replaced is only $165.00 so you can tell what kind of service company you were dealing with, the total job if it was replaced by a tech would be no more than $265.00 tops. hope this helps, thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.