Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have two burn spots on the right lip

I have two burn spots on the front right lip of the oven cavity where the cavity liner has turned veritically and is very close to the inner face of the door. The spots are approx. 1/2 inch in diameter and have removed all the paint in the spot locations. There is some similar damage, although not as large areas on adjacent parts of the door. Over the last two years I have touched up very small burn areas at the same locations as burning is happening presently. This treatment has allowed continued use of the microwave for several months each time. My question this time is: Does arcing and burning of the paint lining occur because of a fault in the paint (on the door or in the cavity lining) at the point of the burning or does the arcing occur because of some fault in the electrical system that creates the microwave energy? My question leads to my determining if I can can cure my problem by repairing the paint situation at the location of the burning or if there is somthing elsewhere in the microwave electronics or overall electrical continuity (such as at door hinges, etc.) that is causing my difficulty. Thanks
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

arcing of this type is caused by the microwaves not being focused in the microwave cavity. this is usually an occurrence when the Reflector or stirrer is bad, this deflects the microwaves so it distributes the microwaves correctly. the other cause for this is the magnetron itself is bad . either one should be repaired by a qualified tech. eventually the magnetron will fail because of this. if the tube on the magnetron is degraded this will cause the issue. hope this explains whats going on , thanks, Bryan