Robert
Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.
19947765

I turned my Jenn-Air model W246 oven on 350. I heard a loud

Customer Question

I turned my Jenn-Air model W246 oven on 350. I heard a loud pop and then dark gray smoke started seeping out around the door, along with a sour burning smell. The element is not heating beyond 150 now. We replaced the element a year ago. What do we need to do to fix this oven ourselves? Please include diagram and part numbers
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
Hello.

If you had that happen then that means the bottom element(bake) has burnt out on your unit. You will need to order part number Y04100020. You can get it by calling 1-800/291-4610 or by going to an online supplier. To replace the element you will need to turn the breaker off to the oven. Remove the racks. Locate the screws that hold the element to the back wall of the oven and remove them. Carefully pull the element out of the hole to reach the wires. Transfer the wires, one by one, to the new element. Pull the old element out completely and attach the new element with the screws. Replace the racks, turn the breaker back on and test the unit. This should resolve your problem and get you up and running.
On a side note: The reason your unit is only reaching 150 is because the broil element is coming on to assist the bake element for a faster preheat. I wanted to tell you this if you had any question as to where the heat was coming from. Let me know if you have any other questions for me.
Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is it unusual for the element to fail after only one year? The first time, I actually saw it flame out; this time, just the big pop. Might there be a problem with the wiring?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you still working on an answer to my second question? If, in fact, the problem is with the wiring, do we still need to replace the element? In other words, would the faulty wiring (which cause the "pop" and the smoke) also have destroyed the element?
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
It really depends on the element used. If you used an aftermarket element then that could be the issue. Elements are fickle things that can last 1 month or 20 years. I really doubt it is a wiring issue. Just make sure that the contact on the back of the element are tight and clean. If the wiring were an issue it would be the clock/control board that would suffer from surges/pulses. Make sure you use the part number I gave you and stick with factory OEM parts. Any aftermarket parts may save you a few bucks now but they will cost you in the long run.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. is there an additional charge if we have additional questions once we try to install the new element?
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
Not if you come back to this question. I will respond even after you click accept.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Robert, we now have the element. The wires leading to the upper oven are indeed fried and need to be replaced. They're not long enough to pull out through the oven and just add to. We have pulled the oven away from the wall and believe we need to get to the wiring from the back, but, of course, the oven is completely closed in the back. How do we get to the wiring in the back of the oven?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
The oven is out of the wall! We need an answer quickly, and Robert appears to be unavailable
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 2 years ago.

Give me a minuet to review the thread.

The wires will have to be pulled from the control panel. Open the panel and locate the wires you need to replace. Attach a wire of the same type and gage to the oven end with electricians tape. Tape at minimum 6" of the wires together. If you dont pull the new wire through to the panel it will be a serious hassel to feed one through.

Be sure to mark each wire as to where it goes. Keeping tjhe same color wires helps too. You can get new wire at home depot.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do you get to the control panel? Where is it? Do we have to take the fan apart to access the control panel?

The control panel is the panel that has all of the units controls on it. At the top is a grill looking part. Remove the screws from it and the panel will roll forward for access to the wires.

I must caution you that if you have never rewired an appliance I strongly advise that you let someone that has do the work. You could easily end up causing more damage than good.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We took off the back of the oven. There are two wires to the control unit, one red and one yellow. It appears that the red wire goes to the control on the right when looking at the oven from the front. Which side of the unit does the red wire go on?

How do you get to the control panel, which I presume is in front, behind the oven knobs. How do we open that??

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You will see from the thread that we asked whether our initial payment would cover follow-up questions on this same problem. Robert said yes. Is there a way you can be paid from our original $30?