Robert
Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.
19947765

I have a front loader and Im getting an error code of F 20?

I have a Maytag front loader and I'm getting an error code of F 20? any idea what that is?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Robert :

Hello.

Robert :

The F20 error on your unit is letting you know that the washer is not getting enough water to trip the pressure switch. This means that the water is off to the washer OR the line to the washer is clogged OR the water valve is bad.

Robert :

Check the water to confirm that it is on. Remove the hoses and confirm that the lines are clear. If that is good then you will need to find out which valve is bad. You can do this by setting the washer to the Hot/Cold setting and starting the cycle. If the unit fills with water then you will need to replace the cold water valve in the washer. If it does not fill the washer then you will need to replace the hot water valve in the washer.

Robert :

I will need the model number off of the washer to get you part numbers if you would like to do the repair yourself.

Customer:

ok will do thank you so much I will let you know in a few minutes what happens.

Robert :

Sounds good.

Customer:

Robert give me a couple of minutes how do we get rid of the F20 error on the front once we do these things?

Customer:

feeling a bit dumb at this point

Robert :

Just hit the cancel button or turn the unit off and back on.

Customer:

kk thanks brb

Customer:

There is water in the machine the lines are clear and the water is on. there is no cancel button on the machine only

Customer:

Model number is XXXXX

Customer:

SERIAL NUMBER IS XXXXX

Customer:

turned machine off and on again but F20 is still there

Customer:

honestly I'm ready to throw the darn thing out we just purchased it less than 6 months ago and this is the second time its broken down...first time cost us over 400 dollars for travel for them to come and change a seal all told it was 700 dollars....

Robert :

Can you drain the washer at all?

Customer:

no

Robert :

Wow. You are not having good luck with this one.

Customer:

it wont do anything we ask it to do as the f20 error keeps coming up. We were given weird keys to the thing maybe to reset we are going to check

Customer:

no kidding and i have 5 medically fragile kids in the house so laundry is a must...

Robert :

I am checking a couple of things here.

Customer:

k

Robert :

Have you ever cleaned the pump out on your unit?

Customer:

no its brand new he is going to check the outgoing hose as the water got in just didnt go out

Customer:

where is the pump

Customer:

?

Robert :

Behind the bottom panel under the door.

Customer:

ok

Robert :

There are usually 3-4 screws on the panels botXXXXX XXXXXp that you can remove to get it off.

Robert :

The pump has a screw handle on the front of it. You can unscrew it to clean the pump out BUT all of the water in the unit will run out when you remove the front panel.

Robert :

on the pump, not the washer.

Customer:

the problem is we didn't buy the units outright we are on a payment plan if we start screwing around with things our waranty will be voided

Robert :

I thought so.

Robert :

I just read that you spen the 700 dollars on it and assumed you were out of warranty

Robert :

spent

Customer:

no the waranty covers parts not labour or traveling time

Customer:

someone had to come up from Toronto

Robert :

Yikes.

Customer:

cost us $400 in travel time

Customer:

they didn't tell us that when we bought the machine

Robert :

I think the manual on the unit lists this as maintenance on the unit and it should not void the warranty. Double check the manual if you have it.

Robert :

If not, you can go to www.managemylife.com and click the manuals tab. Enter the model number and you can get a free copy of it.

Customer:

I have the warranty it only has a limited warranty on parts

Robert :

Sounds kinda like no warranty at all to me.

Robert :

It would be cheaper to put the parts on yourself than to pay someone to do it.

Customer:

exactly...

Customer:

My husband is down looking at it i will return...thanks so much for hanging in

Robert :

no problem

Robert :

I think there will be a diagnostics sheet in a bag inside the bottom panel of the washer also.

Robert :

This will help in the future if you have more issues.

Robert :

I know you are going to have to replace the water valve on the unit because of the F20 error though. That valve costs about 30 for the cold valve and 50 for the hot(rough estimate). That is far cheaper than paying them to come out.

Customer:

Robert sorry to have wasted your time but no luck will not work for us....guess we will have to wait to hear from the service guy....

Robert :

You haven't wasted my time at all.

Robert :

I am sorry that you cannot ge into it to fix it.

Robert :

They have you in a position here.

Customer:

well apparently there are no repair men anywhere near muskoka ...they sure do

Robert :

If you feel like venturing into it more just let me know. I will be glad to help you.

Customer:

ok will do in the mean time if I hit accept will you at least be paid for your time?

Robert :

Yes. Just remember to come back if you need any other help.

Customer:

will do thanks Robert!

Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.