Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Hello! I have a may-tag CWE-5800-ACB, serial number 21160247EG

Customer Question

Great double stack oven but the top oven isn’t heating. The bottom oven works, the panel works - as does the fan. I have a bottom element but before I put it in I checked the broil element and that doesn’t work either. Could this be a high limit cut-out?

Zak
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

is the top oven run by the clock or the turn thermostat ? which one do you use to control the top oven?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Bryan, the top oven is run by clock/digital panel.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
okay, there doesnt appear to be a thermal cutout on this that I can find. have you self cleaned this lately ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No. No cleaning lately.
The only reason I ask is the diagram that I have shows a hi limit cut out that controls both elements. It seems like a plausible answer if both elements aren’t working but everything else is. Unless having one element out effects both?
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
well after going over the rest of the diagrams I did find a high limit cutout but it looks like it would affect both ovens if it were bad. you said the bottom works fine ? its part # XXXXX on this diagram. I'm not sure by the diagram if this is a resetable thermostat or if it needs to be replaced. you can check it for continuity and that will tell you if its bad or not. make sure you shut the power off before opening this oven up. do you have a volt meter to check continuity ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I took the oven completely out. I found a wiring diagram on appliancepartspros.com… and yes the bottom oven works but its on separate thermostat and the power comes from different terminal. I do have a meter.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
okay what you need to do is remove one wire from the thermostat and put you meter on ohms. click this blue link and it shows you how to test a thermostat. (video) all high limits are the same and test the same way, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/High-Limit-Thermostat/WE4X584/2806#repairHelpVideoTabs let me know if your is bad. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hey Bryan,

So the hi - limit, oven sensor and thermostat all check out. And by check out…I mean that the oven sensor increases in resistance when heated. I’m assuming this is correct action for that sensor. Anyway, i have no coarse of corrective action at this point. It seems like the only thing left is the digital display. Thoughts?

Thanks again,
Zak
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
yes it seems the only thing left is the clock assembly. did you check the door lock switches? that could be the issue.