Ed Michaels
Ed Michaels, Appliance Technician
Experience:  my company installs and maintains appliances in NYC
62707781

my maytag dishwasher wont start. The lights go on, except

my maytag dishwasher won't start. The lights go on, except the normal light cycle one. Once the time appears in the center panel, the only thing that happens is the time continues to blink, no matter how many times I press the start button?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Ed Michaels replied 2 years ago.

Ed Michaels :

Try unplugging or throwing breaker off for a few minutes. let me know how it goes. ed

Ed Michaels :

otherwise I need model# XXXXX approximate age of machine. ed

Customer:

Hi Ed, I tried the breaker switch before and it didn't help the situation. I have other type model numbers of which I'm not sure which number you need. Please advise

Customer:

First, age of machine is 5 years

Ed Michaels :

hi bob, inside machine on side wall is a model number beginning with some letters like MDBH995aws

Customer:

OK, the number is XXXXX

Ed Michaels :

thanks. just a minute. ed

Ed Michaels :

start button does nothing, not even beep?

Customer:

Hi, not even a beep---nothing except after a bit of time the light shuts off and everything does off.

Ed Michaels :

Sorry. News is not good. Given the age of your machine with normal use, 99.9% it’s the keypad. Part is about $125 and fairly easy to replace. Only thing is, it’s non-returnable. Here’s the part photo. Here’s the sears site for part and install blowup diagram. If you call Sears Repair for a service quote, they will give you labor plus parts and guarantee repair. first thing they will do is replace keypad. but repair will be guaranteed. It’s up to you. Hope this helps. ed

Ed Michaels :

hi bob, here's a video of a replacement on a similar machine to give you an idea of what's involved. ed

Customer:

Thanks Ed, I'm printing out the other items you sent me. Then I'll watch the video. My quess is I will be able to install the new part myself.

Customer:

Thanks again.

Customer:

Bob

Ed Michaels :

Your welcome the video shows it well. See what sears repair quotes . Sears tech will have wholesale price of part, so sears parts and labor will be (my guestimate).$180 against guaranteed $125 for you.

Hi Bob, One last thought. This part is a big expense. There is no way to be sure that repair will restore all functions. 99.9% isn't 100%. The only way to be sure is with a technician on site. I don't want to send you down a road that doesn't have a place to turn around without mentioning this. let me know how it goes. ed
Ed Michaels, Appliance Technician
Experience: my company installs and maintains appliances in NYC