Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a Gibson Heavy Duty Commercial Upright Freezer model

I have a Gibson Heavy Duty Commercial Upright Freezer model #R134A. The motor is running okay but it's not freezing solid even when set on the highest setting. I'm wondering if it's worth a service call by a technician or if we should just purchase a new freezer.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

the model # XXXXX gave R134A is the type of freon thats in this not the model #. at any rate how old it the unit ? can you see if theres a model # XXXXX somewhere else on the freezer ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago. these numbers help:

RF107-1 3699

Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
no they really are not comming up either. is there a lot of frost on the back panel inside the freezer? or is there a spot where theres some and the rest none ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, the meat stores on the top shelf was covered in frost. Otherwise very little frost. The freezer is 10 years old, maybe a little older.

Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
okay it sounds like you may have a freon leak, thats expensive to repair , If you called someone to look at this they would need to find the leak and repair it before they could recharge it. the laws are very strict on this now. your probably looking at around $200.-$300 for the repair. its up to you whether you want to spend that much on this one or put the money to better use and buy a new freezer. If it were me I would replace the freezer, you wont know if theres any compressor damage until its recharged, thats a risk. hope this helps. thanks Bryan