Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Hi , I have a Bosch ecosense dishwasher. It was working fine.

Customer Question

Hi , I have a Bosch ecosense dishwasher. It was working fine. I replaced our garbage disposal and forgot to knock the drain plug out for the dishwasher drain. The dish washer wouldn't drain of course. I removed the plug and then ran the dishwasher and it still isn't draining. What is causing this now ?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Unfortunately your dishwasher is stuck in "flood mode". What that means is that water has worked it's way down into the base pan below the dishwasher tub causing the unit to do nothing but drain. This is normally caused by the drain being clogged like in your case. Either way, you'll need to uninstall the dishwasher and tip it forward at a 45 degree angle to drain the water out of the base pan. Be sure to put a towel under the dishwasher first so that the water is soaked up in the towel instead of going all over the floor. Once you've drained all the water out of the base pan, reinstall the dishwasher and pour a gallon of water in the dishwasher. If it drains it out right away and doesn't wash or refill, you still have water left in the base pan to try again, otherwise you're good to go.

Now if you don't want to do all this work just to get your dishwasher working again and you have time, let the dishwasher just sit unused for a week and the water in the base pan will evaporate as time goes on and the dishwasher will start working again after a week.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have a question, Is their anyway to speed the drying of the water without pulling out the dishwasher? I have a tight water line that was a bitch when I installed the dishwasher and I dont want to remove it to drag the dishwasher out or wait a week without using the dishwasher. I have hand dipped the water out of the bottom and run it twice,does this add water to the drain pan each time it is tried without draining ? If all the water isnt out of the drain pan and I try to run it will it put more water in the pan ?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
You can remove the kick panel and turn the circuit breaker off. Then you can try to get some towels up and over the plastic base panel to soak up the water if possible.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have a question, Is their anyway to speed the drying of the water without pulling out the dishwasher? I have a tight water line that was a bitch when I installed the dishwasher and I dont want to remove it to drag the dishwasher out or wait a week without using the dishwasher. I have hand dipped the water out of the bottom and run it twice,does this add water to the drain pan each time it is tried without draining ? If all the water isnt out of the drain pan and I try to run it will it put more water in the pan
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
That's what I just answered I believe. I said:

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If I try to run it and the water isnt completely gone will it add more water and lengthen the drying process ?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
no, it will not add more water. You will need to add the water manually until the water is gone.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I dont understand the statement," you will have to add water manually until the water is gone" Add water to what and why?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Because the dishwasher is in flood mode. It will not add water again until it's out of flood mode. So if you want to see if the dishwasher is out of flood mode, add a gallon of water to the dishwasher and see if it drains the water out right away or washes with it. That's all you can do.

Good luck and have a nice day.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have been hand dipping all the water out and then running it. It will run its cyle and fill with water but not drain. Are you saying that when the dishwasher is ready to run correctly then the pum will come on and drain the water out if I add a gallon to the dry dishwasher ?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
no. I'm saying that if the dishwasher will not drain right now, then you still have a blocked drainline or plugged garbage disposal.

All the draining the basin is going to do is get the unit out of flood mode.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You didnt understand what I was trying to say. I am asking this. Once I tip the dw over and drain the pan should I pour a gallon of water into the dw. If so will it then pump the water out if everything is ok? Or should I just run the dw to test it.? I still didnt understand why you where telling me to pour a gallon of water into the dw
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Once the water is out, then you pour a gallon of water in and it should wash with the water instead of trying to drain it out if you removed all the water.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok, why do you have to do it this way. Is the drain cyle out of sink? Why wouldnt it it just run like normal without adding the gallon of water? Shouldnt it just fill like usual ?

I am hoping I have it fixed.I tipped the dw and drained the water in the pan then I ran a cycle without adding the water but when it was finished it had water in the bottom. Before I tipped the dw It woudnt run again unless I had dipped all the water out. This time I turned it off an on again and shut the door and it is running even though it was full of water to start. I hope this is like you are telling me and doing the same as adding the gallon of water, I hope when this cycle ends the dw will be empty of water as it should be. If not, I dont know what else to do. I have done exactly as you told me.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
It's in the middle of a cycle, that is why it won't fill like normal.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I give up. I did all you said, I took the dishwasher out tipped it forward andlet any water drain out. I reinstalled the dishawasher then turned it on. It filled with water ran its cycle and when finished still was full of water. Guess I will need to call a repairman.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
If it's not draining then you have a different problem other than just the flood issue. Bosch dishwashers are not easy to work on for drain issues unfortunately.

First, I'm going to assume you didn't change your garbage disposal recently--so if you did please speak up. You'll need to open the door and remove the center cylinder filter as well as the silver stainless mesh filter plate. This will allow you get gain access to the plastic sump (or pump cavity) below the filters. There is a little plastic dome held down by 1 screws on down inside the left side of the sump. Remove the screw (it's a size 15 torx bit screwdriver) and check for any blockages to the drain pump impeller that is now exposed. Put the cap back on and run another cycle to see if it works. If not, you'll need to uninstall the unit, disconnect the drain hose and blow through it to see if it's clear. If it's clear---replace the drain pump. Below is a link to a video that will show you how to take the sump apart to check the drain impeller.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I changed the garbage disposal on thursday of last week the dishwasher wouldnt drain the next time I ran it. That is why I thought it must have had something to do with the garbage disposal ,which it had ,I forgot to knock out the plug on the dishwasher drain port of the disposal. When I turn on the dishwasher you can hear it humming, maybe the pump is blocked also. What a coincidence. I already checked the drain hose it is clear. The dishwasher is barely over two years old. I will diassemble the area to reach the pump impeller to see if it is frozen or jammed with something.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
ok good luck.