Appliance Tech Care
Appliance Tech Care, Appliance Technician
Experience:  35+ Yrs Experience - 40,000+ 'Real World' Repairs
20893398

Subzero 650 purchased 1999. how come lite in fridge (and

Subzero 650 purchased 1999.

how come lite in fridge (and consol - ice/no ice, temp monitor/pwr on/off) doesn't work? will come on for a few secs and then stay off for weeks or months. Changing bulb doesn't fix problem. Problem started about month or two after tech came out after freezer froze up. Even though tech came out, solution was to let fridge thaw out - only cost me about $225.

More problematic - loud vibrating noise from motor/condenser/fan on top of fridge. Makes noise 15 - 30 minutes, will stop for an hour or more. Noise starts on its own or when you go to open fridge. On going for about 2 months. Fridge and freezer temp ok and generally seem to be working?

repair, or new fridge (not subpar, oooops, I mean subzero!)?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Care replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answers, I will be glad to help you with your question.
Is the sound coming from the top behind the grill?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes
This is a common problem with the fan motor and fan blade. Most of the time the hole in the middle of the fan blade get enlarged to the point the blade becomes off balance. You need to remove the fan assy and examine the blade.
It looks like there got rid of the plastic blade, which is a good thing.
Here is a link for the blade if you find its bad
http://www.repairclinic.com/Sub-Zero-Refrigerator-Model-650-ID-539300-Blower-Wheel-Or-Fan-Blade-Parts
If you find my answer helpful please hit select the happy face and ACCEPT for my help today.
Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will check the blade. I hate to ask a "stupid" question, but do i need to power down the fridge when I remove housing to exam fan blade - I assume yes, but figured I would ask anyhow.

Also, any insight into the issue with the light bulb and console lght - it's out abou 99% of the time and changing the bulb has not helped
Turn the thermostat down to the OFF position
The fan is above and you need to remove the four phillips screws holding the legs in place. Then unplug the fan motor and wiggle the whole thing out where you can work on it. Its a little tricky getting the back screws, but with a long screwdriver you can reach them.
If you are talking about the display board , the display backlight is powered thru a circuit relay board that controls the whole fridge along with all the lights inside.Thats most likely the problem.
Experience: 35+ Yrs Experience - 40,000+ 'Real World' Repairs

Please press the Accept Button (or the Smiley Face if prompted ) now, if I have helped you today so I am credited for my time assisting you.
Pressing Accept will insure that I will still be able to help for future follow-up questions at no additional cost to you. If something isn't working let me know and I will continue working with you to resolve it! Positive Feedback and Bonuses are not expected, but are always appreciated!