Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

My LG Washing Machine Door Won't Lock.

LG washing machine door no longer locks. Error code dE. But now I can't wash clothes. How do I fix it? How do I bypass the door lock check so I can wash clothes? I have tried cleaning the door lock area inside with a Q-tip and I have also tried closing the door softly and harder. The door latch mechanism is working fine.

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.

You cannot bypass the door latch assembly unfortunately. But you are correct that "dE" means that your door latch assembly has failed assuming your door is shut securely. There is a PTC sensor inside the latch which cannot be replicated or bypassed to tell the control board that the latch is shorted. The latch will need to be replaced to get the door to work again. Below is a link to the part you'll need to order and it's actually quite easy to replace as well.

CLICK HERE for part

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Can you tell me, with your experience, how often this issue occurs? Is this very common after a certain length of time on the LG washers? How long should a good technician need to replace the door latch and lock mechanism?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.

1. The issue is fairly random but I'd say on average it happens about once every 5 years.

2. It's really not time related at all, they just tend to fail possibly from out of balance loads or things hitting the door when it's washing? It's really hard to say.

3. It takes about 20-30 minutes to replace the latch and if you are handy you can definitely do it yourself.

To replace the latch just unplug the washer and open the door. Remove the wire ring around the front lip of the rubber gasket by prying it off with a flat head screwdriver. Now you can push the door gasket out of the way. Remove the screws going into the latch and reach behind the front panel to remove the latch and install the new one.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OK. This does sound easy. I had to leave the house and I am now away from the machine. But I think you have convinced me to do this myself. Thanks. I did get a load started today by slamming the door pretty hard. The issue has been present for 3-4 weeks now but has been getting worse and worse.