Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a GE Profile XL 44 propane range that shows a signal

I have a GE Profile XL 44 propane range that shows a signal on the panel saying that the door is locked when it is actually open. This occurred after the self-cleaning option was used. Now we cannot get the stove to operate and there is a ticking noise. Is there anyway to correct this?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

This happens when a switch on the latch assembly fails or the latch isn't in the open position exactly. Try to start a self cleaning cycle and wait 60 seconds, then cancel the cycle. Wiggle the latch to see if you can get it to go back in position. If it still shows "locked", then your door latch assembly will need to be ordered and replaced because the switch on it has gone out.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was told that you need to hold the button on the door in for a couple of seconds and then tell the stove to self clean and then press the cancel button. Have you heard about this?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
That's only if the door stuck open and the lock is in the locked position so you can't shut the door all the way. That doesn't sound like your problem to me from what you've described.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When the door is closed there is a ticking noise coming from the stove. I had to jam the door open a little to stop the ticking noise. What does that mean?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
That means that the door lock is still try to move but it can't. Push in the door switch to memic the door being shut. You'll hear the ticking noise when is the latch trying to move. Try to push the latch or wiggle it when it's ticking to see if you can help it move along.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The stove is next door in my rental unit. I am going to go try this and see if it works. I will let you know.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
OK good luck.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We tried everything you said to do and the door locked light is still blinking on the panel - however the ticking stopped. We tried moving the door latch and pushing in the switch but nothing worked. Any other recommendations?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately it sounds like your latch motor assembly just needs to be ordered and replaced to fix the issue this time I'm afraid.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can you think of anyway for the time being to get the oven to operate on the stove? The top burners work but not the stove.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
You could bypass one of the latch switches that has failed, but I really couldn't tell you how to do that exactly without being there.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can you bypass the switch by cutting the power line by opening up the top of the stove and cutting the power to the latch motor and reconnecting them? The same thing with the switch? I have someone that might be able to do that if you think it could be a solution,
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
You wouldn't have to do anything with the wires to the latch motor itself, just the switch by either disconnecting the wires to the switch, or taping them together.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.