Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.

the refridgerator door was left open-now it wont cool?

Customer Question

the refridgerator door was left open-now it won't cool?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

There are 2 ways of doing this, you can unplug the refrigerator and open the doors for about 8 hours and let it thaw or if you post the model number I can take a look at the diagrams and post one along with instructions to help you get the rear inside freezer wall off that covers the cold coils and you can defrost it manually.

What has happened is enough of the outside air was pulled in the cause the cold coils to clog with frost and now the fan cannot circulate air through out the whole refrigerator. Once that frost has melted the refrigerator can be turned back on and will return to normal in about 10 hours or less. Let me know if you would like to do that manually.

Barry

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My wife says what happens to the food over 8 hours?
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Its going to get warm unless you move it somewhere to keep it cold, those coils have to thaw or its not going to cool. If this is a side x side those are not too bad to defrost with a hair dryer but if its a bottom freezer with a drawer it will be a tough job. Top freezers are not to bad to do manually. You did not mention it not running so I am thinking that it is running?

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
YES, it is running, but also it is a refrigerator only so does this procedure still go?

Is there a senior citizen discount?
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
I wish I could do that. You could ask Justanswer customer service, they may be able to help you. Is this a Whirlpool refrigerator only can you find a model sticker anywhere? Yes it still has those same coils.

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
EL87TRRRS06 YES, a Whirlpool
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
I thought it might be. There are only a couple of companies that make those.

Inside the refrigerator at the bottom of the rear wall you will see the parts in the diagram I have arrowed at the bottom of this page. If you can do this you can get to the coils and defrost them with a hair dryer.

Remove the panel and gaskets arrowed red. There appear to be 4 screws to remove and the coils will be behind that. Be sure to turn the power off to the refrigerator before starting. It should not take too long to defrost those coils. If for some reason you do not find frost back there you let me know please. I will be here.

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, i can try that but it will be a few hours as we have an appointment and won't be back until later.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
That will be fine. I will be around here close. You folks have a nice day.

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning,
We turned the unit back on last evening after about 8 hours with the door open and a fan blowing into the unit. In about an hour there
wasn't any cold air, set at #5, we turned the unit off again for overnight. Then this morning I remembered something about 10 hours, is that the length of time it will take for it to come back to a set temp?

Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Yes about 10 hours to start returning to normal temperature. And I expect it will, let me know I will be here.

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX be in touch.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
You are welcome, you folks have a great day.

Barry