Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

My Whirlpool side by side refrigerator with Ice Maker Plus

My Whirlpool side by side refrigerator with Ice Maker Plus capability has lost its ability to cool in the refrigerator or freeze in the freezer side. No ice making either. This happened overnight with no power disruptune. Water all over the floor from Ice/frozen food melt.
I unpluged it and re started it, but still no cool. Whirlpool Model ED2FHEXMS00. Any ideas?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

When you open up the freezer door, do you hear a fan running inside the freezer? And are you hearing a click every few minutes or so?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Fan is running. No clicks.
minimal cooling in refrigerator and freezer.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
OK if the fan is running then the refrigerator knows it needs to be cooling which means that the compressor is not doing it's job or it's low on freon or something like that. Pull the refrigerator forward and unplug the refrigerator.  Remove the lower back access panel and locate your large black round compressor.  There is a small plastic box attached to the side of the compressor with several wires going into it.  This is your overload relay.  Pull the overload relay off the compressor and shake it.  If it rattles, then it needs to be replaced.  If it doesn't rattle, then you likely have a bad compressor and you'll need to call a technician in order to replace the compressor or check the freon pressure---either way you must be licensed and this is not something you can do yourself.