John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

My washer agitates, empties and spins but it is not spinning

My washer agitates, empties and spins but it is not spinning enough water out on the high spin and the clothes are very wet. I have checked to make sure the hose coming out was not kinked, all ok there. If I let it spin 3x it seems to take most of the water out of the clothes. I'm wondering if the timer could be out of sync and not letting the clothes spin long enough?. Any advise would be great. Thanks. Colleen
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

Hi Im John I will help you with the no spin problem.

Is it also noisy in the wash cycle ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No it is not noisy during the wash cycle but when it does start to spin there is a clunk noise just prior to it starting and finishing but that noise has been there since I got the machine back in 2002. I do find there is a musty smell in the washer now that I never had before. Just finished a load of towels, not many but it took 3x spinning to get the water out.

Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

If its not noisy in the wash cycle the part thats failed is the transmission,

If you want to replace the transmission I can help you with that .

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
If it is the gear case why does it still spin??
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
It can spin but the gears inside the transmission are worn thats why it won't go to top speed.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your help. I thought the spin was not going as fast. I have discussed this with my husband and looks like we are going to get a new washer and dryer. Any advise on good models and makes to purchase? I do not want front loaders though. I will accept answer after you reply so that you can be paid. Thanks again. Colleen
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

Try this first , once apart spray the brake shoes with WD40 to see if it spins faster the brake could also cause the problem.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I watched the video but I could not see where the brake shoes were. The video was replacing the clutch band and lining kit.

Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

Thats the part to use the WD40 on the lining, if the shoes are worn it wont spin as fast .

Give the lining a few sprays the try the washer.