Ed Michaels
Ed Michaels, Appliance Technician
Experience:  my company installs and maintains appliances in NYC

I have a de dietrich microwave DME 795B1 and I cooked a boiled

Customer Question

I have a de dietrich microwave DME 795B1 and I cooked a boiled egg when it suddenly went poof and the egg exploded and the door opened . now all the lcd displays but when you push ok the microwave does not start, also the internal light does not come on when you open the door
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Ed Michaels replied 4 years ago.

Ed Michaels :

Hi, sorry, the news is not good. the egg explosion broke the latching switch.

Failure of the latch switch is a very common problem with microwaves as they age. In your case, it happened by accident. the latch switch is a little plastic part that is not readily available and is very tricky to install if it can be found. It’s not really a DIY project. Much like televisions, microwaves are full of very high voltage (4000v-5000v They require skill and care to service. But also like TVs, Microwaves have become cheaper to replace than to service. As a result, once they're out of warrantee, parts and labor (if you can find them) often exceed exceed the cost of a new machine. If still in warrantee, give De Dietrich a call. Otherwise, you can check repair costs by clicking on repaircare for a fixed parts and labor estimate, or this link Click here to find a local engineer for local service with parts extra. You can weigh the quotes against the cost of a new machine with a new warranty. I hope this answer is helpful if not welcome. Ed

we seem to have lost contact. Please let me know of any follow up questions. ed