Ed Michaels
Ed Michaels, Appliance Technician
Experience:  my company installs and maintains appliances in NYC
62707781

I have a de dietrich microwave DME 795B1 and I cooked a boiled

Customer Question

I have a de dietrich microwave DME 795B1 and I cooked a boiled egg when it suddenly went poof and the egg exploded and the door opened . now all the lcd displays but when you push ok the microwave does not start, also the internal light does not come on when you open the door
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Ed Michaels replied 2 years ago.

Ed Michaels :

Hi, sorry, the news is not good. the egg explosion broke the latching switch.

Failure of the latch switch is a very common problem with microwaves as they age. In your case, it happened by accident. the latch switch is a little plastic part that is not readily available and is very tricky to install if it can be found. It’s not really a DIY project. Much like televisions, microwaves are full of very high voltage (4000v-5000v They require skill and care to service. But also like TVs, Microwaves have become cheaper to replace than to service. As a result, once they're out of warrantee, parts and labor (if you can find them) often exceed exceed the cost of a new machine. If still in warrantee, give De Dietrich a call. Otherwise, you can check repair costs by clicking on repaircare for a fixed parts and labor estimate, or this link Click here to find a local engineer for local service with parts extra. You can weigh the quotes against the cost of a new machine with a new warranty. I hope this answer is helpful if not welcome. Ed

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
we seem to have lost contact. Please let me know of any follow up questions. ed