Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Customer Question

i just bought a new front loading HE Whirpool washing machine (WFW94HEX). It won't spin well or drain and there is a sound like something is stuck inside. I have removed the back and determined the sound is coming from inside the drum (between the inner and outer housing). Is there anything i can do about that besides get a technician (I have taken off the front as well).
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

The unit will not even attempt to spin if it can't drain the water so both issues should be related to the fact that the washer is not draining. There is a drain catch inside the washer that you will want to access and clean if you're getting this drain error.  To access the drain catch, tip the machine backwards and lean it against the wall at a 45 degree angle or so.  Remove the 3 screws along the bottom of the lower front panel.  The lower front panel will then pull down and off.  There is a 3" diameter plastic twist cap directly under the tub mounted to the floor.  This is your drain cap.  Unscrew the cap and clear any debris inside the drain catch.  If you find nothing and the drain hose is clear, replace your drain pump.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
this does not seem to address my issue for 5 reasons

1. the washer is spinning, just sluggishly and making noise
2. there is not error on the panel
3. there is no lower front panel
4. i removed the back panel and unhooked the 3" drain hose. it was not clogged
5. does not address why it is making noise like there is something between the inner and outer tubs
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
So are you saying that the washer is actually draining but it just doesn't spin fast enough to ring the clothes out? Because you had stated originally that it was not draining.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes, the washer will spin, but not at the speed it should and when done, the clothes are just as wet as when they started. there is no error on the panel and the drain is not clogged. There is a noise like there is something in the drums.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
ok so open the door and spin the tub by hand quickly. Does it make a little bit of that noise you were talking about originally?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
ok so this is a big problem then. Your main drum bearing is going out which is very common on these washers. This is quite a new model number so I'd contact Whirlpool and see if they'll be willing to help with the repair because it will require a new inner basket (has the shaft that goes through the bearing) as well as the rear outer tub (has the bearing installed into it). The total cost of the repair is about $700 which is why I advice calling Whirlpool and sometimes they'll help with the cost. if it's less than a year old then it will be completely covered. If it's over a year then it's a case by case basis so you'll need to state your case.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i got it 3 days ago and this happened on the first load. I was hoping it was something i could deal with over the weekend so i could do laundry.
Will they care if i was trying to do the repair myself (does that ruin the warranty)?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
Yes, that will definitely ruin the warranty and this is something that will cost $500 just in parts so it's not a DIY job really. You can try to bring the machine back to the store and return it, but other than that you're looking at waiting for the technician to come out, order the parts, and then coming back out to replace it.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
wow. ok thanks. i'd rather not pay you $30 as we couldn't fix it, but how do i pay you less for your time
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
there is no way to change the value. I'm not getting paid the $30 anyways, I only get paid a portion of the question. Unfortunately there are no guarantees that your problem can be fixed or that you will have the ability to fix the issue. We just spend our time trying to help you figure out what is going on with your appliance and in most cases walk you through the repair if it makes sense.