Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a GE Profile gas stove/oven. It is two years old.

Customer Question

I have a GE Profile gas stove/oven. It is two years old. Every time that I try to use the self clean feature I get the following: err and it will not work. Any suggestions?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

The display just says "Err"? No number?

How quickly does the error come up after you press start to start the self cleaning.

And just to make sure you're using the correct procedure, can you tell me which buttons you are pressing to start the self clean?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, the err message comes up as soon as I press the self-clean button. It is also gives the following: bur, sur--, nEr5
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
OK so make sure you have the oven racks removed and the door is securely shut. If so, then it sounds like you have a bad control board. Try to just unplug the oven for 60 seconds and see if the electronics will reset. If it still doesn't work, then it sounds like your display control board is just bad and will need to be rpelaced. "bur, sur--, nEr5" are not error codes but rather confusion on the logic of the board itself.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you, if it is the control board this will the third time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
I'm so sorry to hear that. I'm not sure how old the unit is but if it's less than 5 years I'd definitely be calling GE and letting them know that they should be helping you out with the repair.