Ed Michaels
Ed Michaels, Appliance Technician
Experience:  my company installs and maintains appliances in NYC
62707781

Hi I have a Samsung washing machine model WE357A7P. We have

Customer Question

Hi I have a Samsung washing machine model WE357A7P. We have had a recurring problem with "low water pressure" errors. It's a pain because the machine stops and you have to start it again. I have measured the pressure at various times of day and it's never been below sixty lbs. We do have the extended warranty but the local company is useless. We take time off work to meet them and then they don't show. They have been three times and replaced the sensor twice. It's just less hassle if I can fix this myself.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Ed Michaels replied 2 years ago.

Ed Michaels :

Hi, you're not the first person I've heard with this problem. It Are you looking to replace sensor yourself?

Customer:

Yes. I have no problem doing that

Customer:

Is it an option to just bypass this sensor? I know there isn't a water pressure issue.

Ed Michaels :

Hi, how old is your machine? have the other sensors failed? If so, it sounds like the sensors may have a manufacturing defect. or an underlying pc board circuit is causing repeated failures. It may be a Samsung problem. Have you asked them for a local referral? Are you interested in tracking down the electronics yourself?

Customer:

The machine is less than three years old. No other sensors have failed.

Customer:

I don't mind replacing the pressure sensor because it's cheap.

Ed Michaels :

But 2 pressure sensors have failed, right?

Customer:

I can replace the board myself but I don't think I should have to pay for that since we purchased the extended warranty. The local company is useless and Samsung has no interest since they handed off the extended warranty reapir to this third party.

Customer:

Yes I believe that's true. It's been replaced at least once and it hasn't corrected the issue.

Ed Michaels :

Ok. Do you want me to source the part?

Customer:

The sensor or the board? I'm in calgary, Alberta, canada.

Ed Michaels :

i just reread your prior comment. when tech replaced sensor, did machine operate normally for awhile?

Customer:

Until he left I think

Customer:

Maybe I will try another sensor and then if it still doesn't work I will get the tech out. It's such a hassle because he is so unreliable

Ed Michaels :

so it may not even be the sensor. When machine stops with error light and you restart, does it run normally?

Customer:

Sometimes it completes the cycle and other times it stops again

Customer:

Is there any way to short out the sensor at least temporarily to see if that fixes the issue? Wouldn't that confirm if it's the sensor or the board?

Customer:

I know there are three terminals. WHich ones would I short out?

Ed Michaels :

Is there a plastic tube connected to sensor?

Customer:

Yes

Ed Michaels :

could you disconnect end and blow through it to make sure its clear?

Customer:

Yes can try that

Customer:

Don't have the top off right now though

Ed Michaels :

ok. let me know when you can. ed

Customer:

OK thx

Customer:

What do you think about shorting the sensor? Is that a bad idea?

Ed Michaels :

I don't suggest shorting out sensor. that could cause further damage.In my opinion, if pressure tube is clear, its definitely the board. when you reset machine, the board resets. the sensor is not intermittant. its a simple device.it's either good or its bad all the time. But its up to you.if you have a multimeter,you can disconnect sensor and test is continuity. ed

Customer:

OK I won't short it out then. Let me get my meter out and see if I can toggle the sensor by blowing in it. Will that work?

Ed Michaels :

yes.take a look at this video of a different machine, but basically the same sensor. let me know how it goes. ed

Customer:

Hi. I was able to blow through the tube with no problem. I did find though that the spring clamp which secures the tube to the sensor isn't very tight. Would that be a problem? I can substitute it with a better worm type clamp.

Customer:

Or like the springy ones you use on a fuel line on a lawn mower

Ed Michaels :

standard switch wiring is GY+BR continuous in normal condition. GY+ Y/BK continuous when you blow through hose. Your diagram may differ, but GY is usually the common.

Ed Michaels :

the clamp is up to you. wouldn't hurt to make it better. don't think it would be a problem though, unless it's falling off.

Customer:

Colours are different. Wires in order are pink, orange in the middle and then purple. There is always continuity between pink and purple but I can't get continuity betweeb pink and orange or purple and orange by blowing in the sensor.

Ed Michaels :

does the diagram show which color is the switch leg?

Customer:

Sorry which diagram?

Ed Michaels :

There is no diagram on back of machine, or do you just have the top off?

Ed Michaels :

Actually, it makes no difference about the color code. your multimeter shows the sensor inoperative. I think it's time to look for the part, unless you have a source already.

Ed Michaels :

i do want to know about that 60lbs pressure test you ran. what was that, exactly?

Customer:

I found the diagram but it doesn't show much. It shows the sensor as a pentagon shape with the 3 wires going to it. I used the pressure gauge from my inground sprinkler system. I used a Y garden hose fitting and inserted it in the cold water line from the machine to the wall tap.

Customer:

Ran the laundry sink tap right beside it and it dropped maybe 5 lbs. for 2 seconds and then bounced back up

Customer:

I think this is the part http://www.reliableparts.ca/product/inv_34001324

Ed Michaels :

OK. The water pressure errors could have been referring to water inlet valve function. was this discussed by tech. When machine runs normally, does water coming in sound good? The device you've been checking and replacing is the water level sensor, which appears defective at this point. It's just that parts for your machine do not seem to be readily available. Is it older than 5 years? I want to make sure of my advice before I give it.

Customer:

We purchased the Samsung washer and dryer in June 2009

Ed Michaels :

Thanks. Ijust reread our long dialog. you already told me that.

Customer:

Water sounds fine coming in. No mention of the intake valve by the tech. I read somewhere that the machine determines the water level based on the water pressure. It's not like a float switch,

Ed Michaels :

ok. If you are sure of the part you showed me, go ahead and replace it.make sure you take a pic of connections to pc board, and give lugs a good scrape before reconnecting.

Customer:

Ok sounds good. I will let you know. Thanks!

Ed Michaels, Appliance Technician
Experience: my company installs and maintains appliances in NYC
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.

Your welcome. follow up as needs be. ed

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi. Still don't have the water pressure error figured out. Samsung has subbed out their extended warranty service locally to Limeroute, and they are completely useless. We have escalated the issue to Future Shop (where we bought the appliances) and to Samsung but no resolution yet.

The other question about our Samsung washing machine is this: have you ever heard of this machine making small pin holes in garments? My wife is convinced it always happens with cotton t-shirts in the navel area on any cycle. There are a few discussions about the subject:

http://www.fixya.com/search/p1334838-samsung_wf448aap_stainless_platinum_fron/holes_clothes

http://community.qvc.com/forums/Viewpoints/topic/43398/my-washer-is-eating-my-clothes.aspx

Optional Information:
Brand: Samsung
Type of Appliance: Washer

Hi, I've heard of it but not dealt with it personally. My opinion as to cause is that soft thin flexible fabric is being sucked partially into holes in drum during spin where it is trapped and abraded by sharp edge of hole when pulled back into machine during rinse cycle. I think it is most likely a quality control issue in the finishing of the drum. ed