Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have an lg front load steam washer model wm2688hnma. I accidentally

I have an lg front load steam washer model wm2688hnma. I accidentally washed my pants with my rings in the pocket. When I realized this after the cycle, I quickly took all the clothes out and only found my band, not my engagement ring. I did open the small filter at the bottom left and it was not in the basket. Where else can it be in the washer - what should I take apart to look in? There has to be somewhere it could get stuck. Please help!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So you have a very long process in front of you I'm afraid to say. The most likely place that the ring has ended up is between the inner basket and the outer tub of the washer. It may flush down into the drain catch at some point, or it could even be flushed down your house drain. But you'll really want to take your washer apart so that you can take the tub out and split the tub to look for the ring. This is NOT an easy task as I've already said. Below is a link to a video that shows you how to take this washer apart so that you can remove the front panel and access the tub. At that point, you'll need to remove the basket and remove all the screws around the center seem holding the front tub to the rear tub. This is pretty much an all day project I want to warn you in advance.

CLICK HERE
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Have you ever seen this happen before? What about the drain tub under the basket ? Could it get in there?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
He gave me a you tube video that doesnt show me exactly why to do that he Is saying needs done. I'm paying 65.00 for a very extensive answer
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I've seen it happen several times. Usually earings through.

I'm not sure what you're calling a "drain tub" but there really isn't one. The wash tub has a hose that goes straight from the tub to the drain catch. Then the drain hose connects to the other side of the drain catch and the pump forces the water from the tub and out the drain hose.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The u tube video you gave me is only how to take apart the outside?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I didn't mean tub, I was writing tube.. my ipone is difficult. I am however on a regular computer now.

As I said, my wedding band was left in the inside of the washer, where the clothes go. My engagement ring, which I think would be harder to make its way out of the washer is missing. So you think it could be between the inner basket and outer tub?

I thought there was a larger tube that goes from the washer to the catch. how does the water flow to the trap?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Yes, there is not a video that shows you how to take the tub apart. That's really not a DIY job and it's an all day project, but taking the outside of the washer apart so you can access the tub is really the only part that isn't straight forward and that will take some time as well. But as I stated, once the unit is apart you need to disconnect all the hoses and springs and shocks and pull the tub out. Then there are screws all around the center seam that you remove to split the tub apart.

As for the "tube" it's a large rubber hose between the tub which comes in the back of the drain trap. The water runs through the drain catch and out the left side of the catch where the drain pump is located. Then the water goes up the drain out and out the back of the washer. When you get the washer apart you can look in the hoses for the ring as well but it's unlikely that it will be in a hose instead of the drain catch or the bottom of the tub.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What do you feel the percentage chances are of it being in there?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
I'd say better than 50%?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Where are you located?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

let me also say this - I have run a load of washer after I found my first ring hoping it would push maybe the heavier one to the trap - it did not..

But if it is stuck where you say it might be - it wouldn't come through to the trap, correct

also - how would it get to that point? There is a thick rubber bendable piece all around the inside?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
That is correct, but running the washer is really a bad idea right now because even though gold is dense, the water pressure could push it into the drain line of your house.

And I know there is a rubber gasket around the front of the tub, but pull the gasket forward and you will see a 1/2" gap between the inner and outer tub all the way around the front of the tub. That is how things get between the tubs.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

my ring is platinum - so i think its a little heavier..

We are going to start this project, I will get back to you.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
good luck and have a nice day.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OMG I FOUND IT!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you!!!!!!!