Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

My top loading washer will not spin at all.

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Do you have a model number so that I can better assist you? It should be located on a sticker under the lid near the hinges.

Also, is the washer draining? Or does the timer stop just before the drain and spin cycle?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It's 12 year old Performa by Maytag (PAV2200)...the agitator is not spinning at all. I was doing a load of towels. The towels were soaking wet. I checked the hoses etc. and tried the spin on all cycles.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
ok so the washer is still draining, the clothes are just soaking wet.

Now, you've mixed up some terminology here so I want to be sure. You said the 'agitator is not spinning". The agitator has nothing to do with the basket spinning. Are you saying that the washer will not agitate in wash mode either?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

whatever part that spins (the basket?) is not spinning. The basket I assume is the cage that has all the holes in it. I put a magic marker spot on it and turned on the spin cycle (which makes a noise as if it's spinning) and then checked and the spot was exactly in the same place.

Is this more clear?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
Yes that works, thank you.

This could be a bad tarnsmission or a bad thrust bearing kit causing this problem. The belt isn't slipping or else the washer wouldn't even drain the tub. So, it's really hard to know if the transmission or the thrust bearing is the issue, but a transmission is not worth ordering and replacing because it will cost $400. It's best to just order the cheaper thrust bearing kit and install it to see if it works or not, then you'll know if you need a new washer or the problem is fixed. To access the thrust bearing, just tip the washer backwards and remove the belt. The large center pulley is part of the thrust bearing kit. Below is a link to the kit you'd want to order and replace.