Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My ice maker arm keeps getting stuck and will not go down unless

Customer Question

My ice maker arm keeps getting stuck and will not go down unless I manually push it down. Can I take it off and not use it? we use plenty of ice in my family so I am not worried that the ice bin will be to full.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So to answer your question "yes", you can remove the arm, but that may not solver the problem if the gear in the head of the icemaker is sticking and not just the arm itself. To remove the arm, just push back away from the head of the icemaker and it will unclip from the front. Do the same thing on the back and the arm will pull off. Now, if the iceamaker still continues to stick and stops making ice, then you'll just need to replace the iceamker to fix the issue permanently.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I just bought this ice maker 5 months ago, how long do they generally last?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
generally they last a lot longer than 5 months. Maybe 8-10 years on average? It sounds like you just got a poorly manufactured part this time around. I'm really sorry to hear that.