Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.

My clothes dryer has a gas line. When I buy a new one, does

My clothes dryer has a gas line. When I buy a new one, does it also have to be a gas dryer or can I buy an electronic one?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 4 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

If you have 220 volts available behind the existing dryer you will be able to use an electric dryer.

If you do not you will need an extra double knockout (or 2 knockouts side x side) in the circuit breaker panel to put a seperate breaker (30+30 amp) in for the dryer, you cannot tie into an existing 220 breaker it must be seperate. Then the wire for that will need to be run and a plug installed for the dryer. Also you will need to make sure that the extra breaker that your adding is not more than your breaker panel is rated for. You can use the existing duct work if it worked well for your gas dryer.

Please ask if you have questions,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So, it sounds like it might just be easier to stick with a gas dryer. The alternative you mapped above sounds really complicated.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 4 years ago.
There is quite a bit to look at and do if the electrical has not been previously installed. I agree.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Any particular gas dryers you would recommend?
Expert:  Barry G. replied 4 years ago.
As a tech I of course will recommend the one with the fewest parts. Really it depends on the features you want. A good brand is Roper which is manufactored by Whirlpool, its a basic dryer that is very dependable. I have it linked below. If its too basic then shop for those 2 brands that have the features you would like.