Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

Have a Botton freezer and the door is stuck, cant open it,

Customer Question

Have a Botton freezer and the door is stuck, can't open it, something is jamed in there. Do we need to call a repairman?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Please look in the fresh food section up near the top for model/serial sticker and post the model number. I need the model to be able to see the diagrams.

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Model MFD2561HEB
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX door budge at all? Don't pull hard. Also the icemaker is optional do you have one? And lastly have you noticed any water on the floor recently?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You can pull but barley moves... Have icemaker , and no have not noticed any water, But my freezer was full, so I am pretty sure something is blocking it, but it is on the icemaker side.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX a few minutes. I am still looking at the diagrams.

Barry
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Turn the water off to the refrigerator. You may have to follow the water line to the cutoff from the back of the refrigerator if you do not know where it is.

I do not like the idea of heating the door, 1: Because its foam filled and that foam can melt. 2: that affects the gasket and it will expand and could get out of shape.

What I would recommend is turning the refrigerator off and checking every now and then to see if it opens. Its probably frozen either from the ice maker overflowing or the defrost drain being clogged which means you are going to have a secondary problem. So save this page to your favorites and return to let me know when it has melted enough to get the door open and I will help you with that. There is no further cost, I just want to be sure its all correct when we finish if you would like to do that.

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX way to church... We are retired and not sure where water shut off is, think we need a repairman to help maybe., I thank you
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
I understand church. Well you may not need a repair man if the problem is the defrost drain. The only way to find out for sure is allow that door to thaw by turning off the refrigerator. I would at least unplug the refrigerator because the ice maker could be dumping water in there right now. And you really should look for the water cutoff, it could turn out to be a mess if the water valve on the back of the refrigerator is broken.

Barry
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Barry thank you for all your help. We did turn off the water in the back of ref.., Then we unplugged the ref for 3 hours.. It worked, opened bottom, there was an ice build up in the ice maker., so we unclogged that and got everything back to normal I hope, we will keep eye on ice maker., we have had more problems with refs and icemakers. Where we live we have such bad water and mineral build up. Thanks again for all your help...
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome. I would suggest that during the day only turn on the ice maker and water. You may have a bad water inlet valve and thats kind of what it sounds like.

Were the ice maker fingers that rotate to dump the ice cubes out pointing at about 2 oclock?

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Didn't look at the fingers on ice maker.. Will keep eye on it though... We know what to look for now.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Yes look for a drip or some drips on the bottom of the ice maker. If you find those and the ice maker fingers are pointing at about 2 oclock replace the water inlet valve. If you happen to find that or whatever you find if you let me know I will help you.

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is the inlet valve easy to repair ourselves? Have not seen the fingers pointing yet.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
The inlet valve requires a few common hand tools, I think you will need something to remove a 1/4 or 5/16 inch screw and maybe a crescent wrench or a pair of pliers. Its not difficult to change one. The most difficult part is getting down behind the refrigerator where it is.

I have a picture of another ice maker pictured below. Its not the same as yours but in this picture those fingers are arrowed black and called ejector blades. Those that are on your ice maker should be in that same position. If it is not then the ice maker is broken. Is yours in a position different than the picture?

And let me add this, if it is broken its very possible the inlet valve leaked water in on it and caused it to break because the water froze on it.

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am so sorry I am just getting back to you, I noticed this morning there is a ice build up in the same area of the ice maker. So I just pulled the arm up to quit making ice . Do you think I need to call someone, I don't want a major problem like I have had on other refgs.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Turning off the ice maker will keep the ice maker from breaking. You need to turn off the water to the refrigerator to stop it. The water inlet valve will need to be replaced.

The inlet valve is the first part your homes water supply connects to. One side is for the ice maker and one side is for the dispenser. Its a dual valve in one body. To replace it UNPLUG THE UNIT. Turn off the water, remove the screws holding it on and pull it out where you can work with it. If you look where the plastic lines go into the valve you will see a white or yellow ring. Press that down in toward the valve while pressing the line in at the same time. Then pull the line out while holding the ring down. Simply push the line in the new valve and give it a light tug to be sure its seated.

Once you get all the water lines changed pull a wire connector off the old valve and push it on the new. Do that one at a time so you do not get them mixed up. Thats it. Plug up the unit and turn everything on and it will all start automatically.

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do I have to go to Maytag to get the part or will any hardware have it?
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
If you have a Sears that sells appliance parts they will have it or and appliance repair service in your town will probably sell parts. Its not a normal thing to keep in a hardware store.

Barry