Appliance Tech Care
Appliance Tech Care, Appliance Technician
Experience:  35+ Yrs Experience - 40,000+ 'Real World' Repairs
20893398

ive got a question. in my house there are a lot of light

i've got a question. in my house there are a lot of light fixtures. we also go through about a dozen light bulbs a month which seems like a lot considering the new earth friendly, more costly ones are supposed to last longer. my question is, is there a box or something i need to add as...well here's the thing that baffles me. i go in my step son's room, there's a ceiling fan with 3 light bulbs on it one works reliably the other two appear burnt out. i turn one to unscrew and replace it, and it turns on, let go stays on for 5 seconds turns back off tighten a little turns back on, let go 10 seconds later shuts off. my question is, what the hell?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Care replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answers, I will be glad to help you with your question.
the sockets in the fixture are going bad, When you turn the bulb you are reestablishing the contact, then as soon as the lamp start drawing current the socket begins to heat up and the connection is broken again.
You can try to go into the base of the socket and take a small pick or screwdriver and lift the little tab on the base of the socket and see if that improves the problem. When this happens you get voltage fluctuations in the lamp which may contribute to the early failures. The only sure fix would be to replace the fixture.

Please press the Accept Button (or the Smiley FaceSmile if prompted ) now, if I have helped you today so I am credited for my time assisting you.
Pressing Accept will insure that I will still be able to help for future follow-up questions at no additional cost to you. If something isn't working let me know and I will continue working with you to resolve it! Positive Feedback and Bonuses are not expected, but are always appreciated!
Experience: 35+ Yrs Experience - 40,000+ 'Real World' Repairs