John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have an older Kenmore washer Model#C1104514082. The machine

Customer Question

I have an older Kenmore washer Model#C1104514082. The machine will not spin and the agitator likewise does not operate properly. It is not leaking anything, motor seems to be fine, and the pump is working fine. However, during the agitation cycle it's like the agitator just turns one direction and in short bursts. In looking at the mechanics beneath, I see that the two "slidder bars" that are supposed to slide back and forth in alternate directions do not both seem to work. It's like the little electro magnet that lifts each are not both working. During the spin cycle the left one seems to work but the right one does not. Then in the agitation cycle, it's the opposite side that doesn't work. So I deduce that they are both able to receive current and will operate when they do, but they don't seem to be getting a coordinated signal so both function as they should during the cycles. Makes me wonder about the control switch/dial or a selinoid??? Your thoughts
please.

Dennis
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.

Hi Im John I will help you with the washer problem.

Disconnect the washer and pull on the white wires that connect to both solenoids the wire could be broken inside the plastic wire casing for the white wire.

Try that and let me know if thats the problem please.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have pulled on those white wires and the others and all seem to be firm. Turned it on again and no change. Dennis
Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.
When the agitation cycle is on does the plunger on the right solenoid lift and then drops down and does the cam bar move forward then back again ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry I've taken awhile to get back on this. But yes, the plunger on the right solenoid does lift and drop and that cam bar moves back and forth on the agitation cycle. During the spin cycle, it's the left solenoid which lifts and drops and the left cam moves back and forth.
Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.
In the wash cycle the plunger moves the cam bar to activate the agitation , does it activate the solenoid and stay activated till the pump out where it drops the plunger and moves the can bar back for the pump out.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes.
Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.
So the cam bar stays in place but the agitator goes in spurts and just the one way is that what its doing ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Do you mean during the pump out? During the pump out, the cam bar moves back, stops and stays in place, the agitating stops and the pump out occurs. During the agitating it agitates consistently but it seems very jerky, turns the agitator twisting only in counterclockwise bursts, and continues that way as long as it is agitating. (Is that the way the agitator is supposed to operate? I thought the agitator action involved a counterclockwise twist and then a clockwise twist. Or do I have that wrong?)

Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.

Your model number isn't coming up so Im not sure if the top part of the agitator has dogs.

Heres a video on how to replace the dogs I think its the problem.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=video+replacing+dogs+direct+drive+washer&docid=4763273862250528&mid=8EB0B2113DE93693D5DA8EB0B2113DE93693D5DA&view=detail&FORM=VIRE1

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I watched the video. Looks like when the dogs are working right it just twists with a ratcheting motion in a counterclockwise direction, right? So, if that is the case, it looks like mine is doing what it should in the agitation cycle. I thought the two cam bars should have been moving back and forth for the agitator cycle. But it sounds like the right cam bar is the only one operational during the agitator cycle.

My original problem was that the spin cycle was not working. Is that where the left solinoid and cam bar come into play?

Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.
Yes the left solenoid gets activated and moves the left bar forward which then drops the clutch to start the spinning. If its not getting power the problem can be the lid switch.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The left cam bar does get moved forward somewhat but the solenoid plunger just seems floppy and clicks away moving back and forth in the groove. It does not seem to engage anything as the rocker mechanism (moving the solenoids) just continues to rotate back and forth. And there is no spinning going on. How does one change the lid switch?
Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.
The plunger should have a pin to move the bar can you see a pin the same as the right solenoid.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes there is a pin
Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.
It has to be the lid swish then,use a putty knife or a flat screwdriver and push in at each corner about 2 in from the corner, this will release the top so you can lift the top up to replace the lid switch.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Found it. Hopefully I can find one of these switches. Are these quite generic and interchangeable? Nobody seems to bring up the model #. Maybe it's too old. I'll have to find one - hopefully tomorrow. We'' let you know.
Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.
The part number is on the side of the switch , if you find it send it to me.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's a Unimax 364090
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Good. I'll let you know if that solves the problem. Thanks
Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.

If it doesnt click when the button is pushed its broken.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It actually does click but I have just gone out and got a new one which I hope will solve the problem. I have been real busy so have not been able to attend to this as quickly as I would like. I'll get back and let you know how the suggestion turned out.
Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.

Try reversing the red and yellow wires then put it in the spin cycle if the lid switch is ok it should agitate in the spin cycle.

If it does that the problem is with the spin solenoid.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I bought a lid switch and then saw your suggestion to test the existing one by reversing the red and yellow wires. The old one still works so I'll have to bring the new switch back. Meanwhile, I just went out and bought a new washer this weekend. Just don't have the time to try to fix this. How hard would it be to fix the solenoid? It looks complicated.
Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.
The solenoids are held on by one 5/16 bolt in the middle, remove the bolt and lift the solenoids off the transmission and replace it.