Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.

I have a new 18" GE Dishwasher - it failed on the first wash

I have a new 18" GE Dishwasher - it failed on the first wash cycle I tried. There was a "pop" from the timer & then it kept washing (1 minute on-5 minutes off) for the next 2-3 hours without the control dial moving (it had moved up to that point).

Since I live on a small island GE won't send a repairman (and there isn't anyone who works on appliances here either). They want me to remove it and take it to the mainland.

I'd rather repair it myself & bill GE.

It seems that I need to replace the timer. How hard is it? (I've repaired our oven and washing machine, so I have basic skills) Model is GSD1807KBB
Hello and thank you for using this service.

Yes it sounds like your timer is bad. The job is fairly easy. Just remove the inner screws from the panel the panel will lift off and seperate from the front and you will be able to see the timer. Remove the timer should just pull off. Then there is a modular plug that plugs into the timer and a couple screws that hold the timer to the console. That is really it. Here is a diagram and link to the timer to order. Timer is part number 904 on the diagram and the link is right to the timer to order.

Please click Accept and a smiley face as to how I assisted you today and bonuses are appreciated. Than