Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.

My Maytag Atlantis washing machine, has been unstable and walking

My Maytag Atlantis washing machine, has been unstable and walking around the room since we moved from New Zealand to Australia; all other functions worked well. The Maytag repair man came several times and as per the instruction manual, re-leveled it by dropping the weight onto the back feet. This worked just long enough for the work man to leave. In frustration I stopped calling the work man, and allowed the machine to walk around the room. Now the machine has stopped spinning - leaving my clothes clean but wet. My Husband removed the outer shell to find the metal holding the thread for the front foot adjustment had fractured through. This he repaired ( improvised ). My husdand checked what looks like a 1cm diameter vacuum tube which goes to the bottom quater of the drum. This appears intact. All the wiring appears intact. The motor seams fine. I am now left with a washing machine which stays in one spot, but still refuses to spin my clothes.
Any suggestions of what he can check next, or what may be done to restore functionality? I really like my machine. It is only seven years old, and has not been used much, as we are a small family (3). Mum helped me buy it just before she died, giving me the age old advice - "by something decent and it will last. Maytag are known for their decent machines."
It seems a pity to have to now consider replacing this machine with a cheaper brand (we have checked the new Maytags, but cannot afford a new one), only because the spinning cycle does not function.
Any advice will be very much appreciated.
Yours sincerely,
Tui Snyman
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using this service.

If the unit is not spinning the most likely problem is the lower pulley and bearing kit need to be changed. This was a very common problem on that unit. Here is the part you would need and the part comes with instructions to put in. It is a very easy job and should get your unit spinning again. Here is a link to the part you will need. Now just make sure it is running during spin. If the motor is running and it is not spinning then replace that part. If it is just silent there could be another issue.

Please click Accept and a smiley face as to how I assisted you today and bonuses are appreciated. Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I would like to acept your advice, but I did say we are in Australia - Looking at the shipping details for the spare part, which I would have liked to order and try our luck at fixing it, does not allow for entering any overseas address - probably something to do with the tube of lubricant(?) as part of the spare gear set kit(?). Anyway, with things as they are, we are not in a position to accept your advice as relevant for our situation in Australia. Perhaps you can find a way around this? If so, we might be able to use a locally available lubricant, and have the spare parts shipped without any substances that upset shipping agents.

Anyway, pehaps you can assist. I shall click "accept" for your advice after clicking "Reply to Expert" assuming that options is stil available, hoping you will still respond and get back to us about the spare part ([email protected]) in a way which will allow us to attempt repairs as you have suggested.

Tui Snyman.

Here is a link to the part right from Australia,

Please click Accept if this assisted you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We have waited nearly 2 hours to receive a response asking we click the smiley face(?) - with no response whatsoever to our email above (March 31 2012 09:42 PM 11:35PM)? Are we missing something?