Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Amana model LW 8403 is getting grease on our clothing is it

Amana model LW 8403 is getting grease on our clothing is it worth fixing?
I just put a new belt, breaks and pump in this machine. I would like to get the agitator out because the grease is coming from underneath it. Can you walk me through this repair?
The washer was purchased in 1995.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

If you're getting grease on your clothes, it's time to replace the washer. The only way grease gets on the clothes is because the transmission is leaking oil up through the seal. Both the transmission and the main tub seal and bearing would need to be replaced which require specialty tools so it's not really something you can replace yourself. The cost of repair is about $350-400 so it's generally just best to replace the washer.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
what model would you recommend replacing it with I have tried the kind without an agitator and it ties my close in knots and don't want that. Large capacity is important?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
I'd go with a Centennial washer made by Maytag. They are large capacity and probably one of the most reliable washers on the market.