Jason
Jason, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  15yrs experience
63955563

My washing machine will not fill. The water is on. If I fill

Customer Question

My washing machine will not fill. The water is on. If I fill the machine manually, it will wash and drain.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

does this happen in both cold and hot water settings ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes. And water works on both lines (i.e., if I disconnect the lines). In the past when the automatic cutoff lines had tripped, I could hear the machine trying to fill (a switch). I don't here that now when I try to start the washer.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
you have flood safe hoses on this ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes. But that does not seem to be the problem (it has been in the past), but the switch to fill does not seem to be coming on.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

okay, do you have a volt meter?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No. Should I get one?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
well to tell for sure you would need to have a volt mater and check for power going to the valve. do you have an old set of hoses you could change the flood safe ones with to test this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't have the old hoses, but I just tried reconnecting both hot and cold and still nothing started (including no sound of the valve opening). I'm pretty sure it is not the water hoses. I can go to the store and get an inexpensive volt meter, or is there a part that is less expensive and worth trying first?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
well you should test the valve for power. do this by putting the machine on fill and take your meter and test for power on the solenoids, the part is around $61.00 so testing it first is a good idea.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok. I got a volt meter. How do I access the valve?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
sorry had to step out, on the back of the washer where the hoses connect there should be a plate thats holding the valve in, there will be one screw to remove and pull the plate out valve and all. unplug the machine while doing this part to make sure you don't short anything out. once you have it clear and can reach the plugs to test then plug the machine in and start it while testing the voltage to the valve, you should get 120 volts if so replace the valve.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No problem. So I turned it on. I checked for voltage across both valves. It did not read anything. So I guess it's not getting power?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

thats correct.did you test on just one coil on the valve or across from one to the other ? you need to test one coil at a time.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I checked one coil, + and - on each side. (I also checked the coils opposite from each other just in case I was checking the wrong thing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
We were communicating over the day and I think he is offline. I would just like to resolve this issue this weekend. I was satisfied with Bryan's help.
Expert:  Chas replied 2 years ago.

Hi, my name isXXXXX am hoping that I will be able to help you with your problem today..

Brian should be online shortly, if you would like to wait for him... He is usually here by 9:00

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I guess I can wait until Bryan until 9 or so and then if he is not around today, I would really appreciate your help.
Expert:  Chas replied 2 years ago.

No problem, If he is not here by 9:00 contact me on this post ad I will continue with you and your problem...

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I think I just hit the wrong button with the last post, the satisfied with answer instead of reply. Does that change things? I have not used this web site before.
Expert:  Chas replied 2 years ago.

Don't worry about it right now... We will still help you...

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thanks
Expert:  Chas replied 2 years ago.
You have a voltage meter with you right now?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  Chas replied 2 years ago.
Do you know how to remove the front of the machine?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not really. Front of washer or front of control panel?
Expert:  Chas replied 2 years ago.
Front of the washer, there should be 2 screws that you remove and the front will come off
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Got it off
Expert:  Chas replied 2 years ago.
The water valve is located in the back you should be able to see it on the left side if I remeber correctly...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes. I see it. I had pulled the valve out from the back yesterday and checked for voltage across the valve when the machine was on. There was none.
Expert:  Chas replied 2 years ago.

Okay then you need to replace the lid switch with part number 12001514, there is a fuse inside the switch that is blown, and causing the valve not to operate, sometimes replacing just the fuse fixes it however it is better to replace the entire unit,.. You can order the parts you need from the following places, http://www.apwagner.com/, http://www.repairclinic.com/, http://www.searspartsdirect.com/, or http://www.partstore.com/, all of these places offer easy returns and reasonable prices for their items.

Your acceptance of my answer if helpful to you, requires that you press the GREEN ACCEPT button, this will allow me to get credit for helping you today, The deposit you paid in the beginning is just that and does not transfer to any experts until you press it...

I cannot know everything since I am not there with you to see all the conditions that the appliance we are talking about,

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just to check, I am able to get the machine to wash by filling it manually with water. When I do that and close the lid, it washes normally (spins and drains). Is that being monitored by a different lid switch? Also, where is the lid switch and fuse?
Expert:  Chas replied 2 years ago.

Looking at the wiring diagram the fuse is inline with the water valve and if blown will not fill...

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
not sure I completely follow the diagram. So if the lid fuse was or lid switch was blown, it still would complete the water cycle when the lid was closed?
Expert:  Chas replied 2 years ago.
According to the diagram it is inline with the water valve..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK. Where is the valve?
Expert:  Chas replied 2 years ago.
You said you check the valve yesterday where you hook up the water line to the machine,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes. But where is the lid valve. That is what I am supposed to replace, right? The water valve is not getting power
Expert:  Chas replied 2 years ago.
Not the valve it is a swtch if you look at the one picture I sent. it is located at the back of the lid of the washing machine...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry. I missed that. I order and replace. Hope that works. Thanks for your help!
Expert:  Chas replied 2 years ago.

Hope it work also, be sure to press the accept button for helping you today...

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I replaced the lid switch and the machine will still not fill
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer. I will be glad to assist you in your answer. Think about safety when doing repairs, electric, water, gas, ect. Find the white wire going from the water valve. There whould be an inline fuse on that wire between the vavle and the pressure switch. Unplug the washer and check that fuse to see if it is blown. If so replace the fuse. You can get the fuse at searspartsdirect.com, just enter the model# XXXXX do a model# XXXXX type in part needed, or look it up, diagrams are very helpful too to get around on your machine better.
Jason, Home Appliance Tech
Experience: 15yrs experience
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I replaced the fuse a few months ago and the machine was working well. However, the fuse blew again today and now contiues to blow (tried 4 times). Can you help me work on this new problem? Matt
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Look for bad spots on the wiring from the water valve, to the pressure switch. If the wiring looks good, then the water valve would be your best culprit to replace. The valve is working, but may be pulling too much current, blowing the fuse. The part# is 22001274, cost is about $58. You can get the part at reparclinic.com, or your local appliance parts dealer. I hope this information helps you. The issue is, the wiring is either drawing too much current, or is shorting soemwhere. If the wiring looks good, I believe the valve would be the problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, thanks. I'll order that. While I was changing the fuse I think I caused another problem. I forgot to flip the breaker switch and got a little shock. Now the washer won't start even when it is full of water. That used to not be a problem, if the water was high enough, it would run the agitation and drain if I closed the lid. Now I have a wash full of water and the machine won't respond at all. Is there another fuse that I might have blown up stream of the valve switch? Thanks
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
I am going to opt out in order to get you some better assistance on this situation. I am not sure on this one, and don't want to give you wrong information. I hope a another expert will help you on this problem, and good luck!