The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances

Maytag Performa top load, Model #EEV99413. Started making

Customer Question

Maytag Performa top load, Model #EEV99413. Started making a horrible noise at the beginning of the spin cycle. First time, I stopped it, rearranged the load, shook the drum and it didn't do it again. Did it again this morning but I couldn't get it to stop. My research suggest the spin bearing or basket drive. Are these two seperate parts? I have yet to find a diagram as to the location of these parts. Is there anything else that would cause this to happen.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 2 years ago.

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer.

You are correct. The spin bearing is bad.

Please check the model number again. A Maytag EEV series comes back as a refrigerator.

Experience: 30 years repairing appliances
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you so much for the quick response to my question. This is so strange about the model number problem. You are the second person to tell me that today. However, when I plug it in on the repair.com site, it brings it right up but what is funny, it was one of the techs that said it wasn't a good model number. I am 100% positive on the model number EEV99413 being correct. Ok, so now that we feel pretty good its the spin bearing, where is this little jewel located? I can't find it on any diagram anywhere.

Thanks again for your quick reply

Mary

I am researching this for you. Should have something shortly.

Thank you for your patience.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Great. And one last question, when replacing this bearing, I have seen a couple of suggestion on doing a bearing kit. When replacing this bearing and while the machine is torn down, should we replace anything else?

Thanks again for your expert help.

Mary

Here is a diagram showing the location of the spin bearing.

You are looking at a major tear down to get to it. This is one of the few Maytag units that they do not list under the model number on the tech site is the reason most people can't find it or parts for it. It is a Performa model. That is how I found the manual for it, but I have two different manuals for the Performa series. I am going to upload both of them for you. Please stand by for the download links.

graphic

Please click here for the first manual.

Please click here for the second one.

One of these manuals will match your washer.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you so, so much. We are up for a major repair. My hubby is a "jack of trades and a master of none" so we will tackle this project together. Ok, I hate to sound redundant but, is the spin bearing called the "lower bearing" or is it the bearing that sits just below the basket hub? Ah, I think I may have just answered my own question. Are there any seals, gaskets, etc. that I should replace when replacing this bearing?

The kit should come with the seals you need. Mind you special tools may be required to tear the unit down that far. You should be able to get them from your local rental yard though.

Yes you did answer the question. It sits right below the basket.

Personally I consider myself a jack of all trades, master of a couple.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This is great. You have been a pleasure to work with and I will let you know how this project ends.

Thanks

Mary

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX look forward to the results.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Houston, we have a problem! The second manuel wont download. It goes thru all the motions then when I try to open it, it tells me the file has been corrupted. Any suggestions?

Just checked it and it downloaded just fine. No problem opening it either. Try it agqain if it doesnt work Ill re up it.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok, thanks. XXXXX have a confession to make. After thinking about this all day, I had convinced myself by the time I got home this evening that there just had to be a for real model somewhere on this machine and guess what? Right there behind the contral panal.

DUH! PAV2300AWW is the correct model number. Anyways, hubby has it pulled out and after supper we are gonna light into it just to see how hard it is gonna be to get to that bearing and get it out. If it is too much of a pain, I am gonna just go get me a new one tomorrow. This machine is well over 12/13 years old and has been a good unit but maybe its time to part ways. I do appreciate all of your input today. At least we know what to target on when we do get after it. Will let you know what we do one way or another.

Mary

Cool!! At least I know my research was spot on. The second manual is the correct one.
These really are good units. If you can get it apart then you can get it back together. Might hake twice as long but with a little determination and down right stubborn perseverance you can do it.
Heck I have torn into mechanical things that I had not a clue what I was doing, but By jimminy I got em back together and they WORKED!!
Let me know how it goes if you decide to tear into it.
Best, Smitty