Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a GE profile Spacemaker XL1800 Model Number JVM1870SF001

Customer Question

I have a GE profile Spacemaker XL1800 Model Number JVM1870SF001 S/N MF987499S mfc date July 2003. It has worked fine up to this morning. Now, when I turn it on, it produces a loud low tone hum. Would this be repairable or do I just replace the unit?

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

a low hum noise and no heat indicate a bad magnetron, this is what sends the microwaves. the magnetron is around $178.00 and a new microwave is around $199-$250 also this is not a DYI job. your better off in the long run replacing the microwave. hope this helps, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Bryan,

I did not leave it on to see if heat was produced for fear of causing more damage. Seems the humm is the indicator of a bad magnetron? Should I turn it on for a longer period of time to see if water will heat?
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
you can try it and see if its heating. do you smell anything funny like a plasticly smell ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Nothing smells like it has smoked. Surprised Also, this unit is no longer manufactured. Any replacement recommendations?
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
well the new G.E's are the same size and will fit. its a standard size OTR microwave. I would go to Lowe's and see what they have. I've seen them there for under $200.00. most any over the range microwave will fit. they standardize them a while ago so you shouldn't have any trouble getting one.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks Bryan! Off to Lowe's I go.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
your welcome. thanks and best wishes, Bryan