Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a Frigidaire Model #FFTR2126LSO refrigerator-Manufactured

I have a Frigidaire Model #FFTR2126LSO refrigerator-Manufactured 6/2010. The freezer formerly was maintaining a temp of 10 degrees F. Now for the past 3 weeks the temp has been 20-22 degrees F in the freezer even when I moved the freezer setting to its lowest setting. Where do I go from here?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

when you checked the coils are you talking about the evaporator coils inside the freezer ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No. I referring to the coils at the back of the refrig to the right of the compressor.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay can you open the freezer and look behind the food and tell me if there is any frost on the back panel ? (inside the freezer section)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There is no frost at the back of the panel. I moved all food formerly in the freezer to my upright freezer this am.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

theres a few things you will need to check, 1 the fan next to the compressor in the back is that running ? 2 is the fan in the freezer (inside) running ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Both fans are running.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
alright , this part is a little tougher, since you have the food out already tough its not to bad, what I need you to do is remove the back panel inside the freezer section ( the very back wall) and take a look at the frost pattern on the coils, can you do that ? tell me if they are frosted evenly, or over frosted (really clogged) or is only part of the coils frosted and some not ? this is important.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The coils are not frosted evenly. Only a portion of the bottom coil is frosted...the remainder of the coil is not frosted at all.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay , thats kinda what I thought. this is not good, It means the freon is low and you have a leak, when your freon is low theres not enough to freeze all the coils it only partially freezes the coils. the real problem is it not a DYI repair, the freon laws are strict now days and you have to be licensed , the leak would have to be isolated and fixed before this can be recharged. I'm sorry for the bad news. you will need a licensed HVAC tech for this repair. hope this info is useful though, thanks and very best wishes, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
LOL. Don't worry Bryan I can handle the bad news. Just disappointed that the refrig has only been in use for 15 mos (1 yr warranty) and then this. Let me know what you think of my plan. All the freezer contents will remain in the upright. Can I continue to use the refrig until I can get a tech to the house? We live in the country and have no one close by (maybe 25 miles at the closest), so sometimes it takes awhile to get someone to the house. I will replace the back of the freezer panel and the panel behind the refrig and begin searching for a tech to make the fix. Does my plan sound of continuing to use the refrig sound OK?