Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Our washer has a load of delicates in it. My wife opened the

Our washer has a load of delicates in it. My wife opened the door because the washer was shut off--she thought it was done washing. A flood of water came out. No we cannot start the washer. It just hums...
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

is the hum comming from the door lock/latch area ? in the front ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sounds like it is inside of the machine
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
HI Bryan--our son and his family live in lewisburg... are you still reviewing my response?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
yes sorry I had to step out for a moment. you cant tell if the noise is comming from the area where the door latch catch is ? how loud a hum is it ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That's OK... When I put my ear to the door latch area I hear the noise somewhere behind it, not right at the latch. The hum is not real loud, at about the same decibel level as when the machine motor is running. But it does not sound to me like the motor is running, I don't know for sure.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
is there still water in this ? you may be hearing the drain pump running. is it pumping the water out ? the reason I asked about the door latch is I was thinking your wife may have damaged the door lock assembly. if that is the case the hum may be the door lock trying to lock. is the door locking ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The door is latching and unlatching. Water was in the machine until she opened the door, flooded the floor and then she bailed the remaining water out with a plastic cup. (The water would not pump out on its own.) As I said before, the washer had shut off with a load in it without pumping out the water. After she bailed out the water I tried starting the unit again. The door latched and the humming began.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay it sounds like your pump is blocked. the pump is what you hear trying to run but it just hums instead, this is the pump. you will need to take the pump out and see whats blocking it. on the front of the machine in the right bottom corner there is an access door, open that access door and the is a pump trap you can check first. unscrew it counter clockwise and pull it out. check for an obstruction there . the cap is # XXXXX on this diagram. unscrew that. let me know what you find there.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, that filter was plugged. I cleaned it, tried starting the washer and still get a hum. Could there be another restriction?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The filter was plugged with the rubber pieces from the bottom of a rug my wife washed a while ago.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay most likely you have more in the pump blades itself. this will cause the pump to jam. thus the hum. you need to take the pump completely out and clear the inside blades on the impeller. this is not the easiest thing to do. you have to go in through the back on this one I believe otherwise you need to take the whole front panel and door off. if after cleaning the pump it still doesn't run replace the pump. at least you know where the problem is. if the pump does run but it still doesn't drain then the hose itself is clogged. hope Ive been helpful, thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Bryan--I removed the filter again and saw the line into it was plugged. I cleaned out the plug, the water gushed out and the washer is working again. Thank you so much for the excellent help! Bob I do not know how to accept the answer and give you this thanks so I am merely replying, I think...
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
just press the green accept button and I will get paid. I'm so glad I was able to help, have a great evening , thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.