Peter
Peter, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Over 25 years in the home appliance service and parts industry.
27890704

my dryer stopped working

my dryer stopped working
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Peter replied 2 years ago.

Peter :

Hi, my name isXXXXX am eager to help you solve your appliance problems. Is it an electric or gas dryer and would you please post the model #, it is behind the door on the front of the dryer. Thank you.

Customer:

Hello!

Customer:

Are you still there?

Customer:

Hello? I have the model #

Peter :

I am still here

Customer:

Kenmore 300 dryer, electric, Model #110-6833200

Peter :

be right back, checking a tech sheet

Customer:

ok

Peter :

Open the door and on the upper right corner of the front of the dryer do you see a white plastic arm sticking out of a hole about 1/2" long. The door would push it when it closes.

Customer:

Yes... I did that as well. Does not work.

Peter :

If you do not hear a clicking sound when you push in the lever then the door switch is defective.

Customer:

Okay.. please hold on.. I will check for clicking...

Customer:

Yes, it does click.

Peter :

Was the vent full of lint or kinked?

Customer:

No because I cleaned it outside and inside about 3 weeks ago. When I checked today, there was no lint.

Peter :

When you turn the timer to 30 minutes do you hear the timer running? Do you have an ohm/volt meter?

Customer:

Let me check the 30min.... I think I do have a meter. Be right back.

Customer:

I checked the 30 min... not ticking. I cannot find the volt meter.

Peter :

By the timer not ticking you are not getting power to the dryer. Take the cover off of the back where the cord attach's and see if there are any burnt connections. You will need a volt meter to check for proper voltage to the dryer, can you borrow from a neighbor?

Customer:

Ok... I will check the back of the dryer... please wait.

Peter :

I have to change servers so I will be off line for a couple minutes.

Customer:

I checked the wires and none of them are burnt. I am still searching for my volt meter.

Peter :

ok

Customer:

ok.. I have a 3-prong volt meter that I put in electrical outlets, but its too small for the dryer outlet.

Peter :

Remove the large panel on the back of the dryer. You will see 2 metal housings one on each side. On the left one there is a white plastic piece with 2 blue wires attached. With the dryer unplugged remove those 2 blue wires and tape them together. Then plug the dryer back in and see if it will start.

Customer:

Ok... this will take me longer... going now. :-)

Peter :

ok

Customer:

Wow... it worked!

Customer:

My dryer is running!

Customer:

Are we finished?

Peter :

no, i am here

Customer:

yes... it worked.. my dryer is running. what's next?

Peter :

Make sure the vent is not kinked or restricted. That white plastic piece is a safety thermal fuse and it only trips when there is a vent restriction. The part # XXXXX(NNN) NNN-NNNN DO NOT RUN the dryer without replacing that fuse, it is a safety item. You can purchase at your local supplier or Sears.

Customer:

Awesome! thank you so much.

Peter :

You may send additional questions directly to me.

If I have answered your question satisfactorily - please press the "ACCEPT" button, as this is the only way I receive pay for my knowledge and time.
Bonuses are GREATLY appreciated as well as feedback.

Thank you,

Peter

Peter, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Over 25 years in the home appliance service and parts industry.