Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Foe a whirlpool tech...my 16 year old microwave model MH7119XB

Customer Question

Foe a whirlpool tech...my 16 year old microwave model MH7119XB just quit...power to area is fine, no fuses blown. Nothing works when I push any button. Is there something I can try? Is it worth it to call in a tech, or get a new one? Thanks in advance.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

bryanpaul52 :

do you have a volt meter and know how to check continuity to the door switches?

Customer : No.
bryanpaul52 :

okay well if the control actually responds but this wont start when you hit start one of the door switches is bad ( there are three) its like machine thinks the door is open. I can send you a link that shows you how (video) to test the switches if you can get ahold of a volt meter. would you like that ?

bryanpaul52 :

the door swthces are these.

Full Size Image
they are micro switches.

Customer : Don't know if my reply made it back, but the entire micro is down...not just the part that zaps...the lights, clock, etc. quit...like someone pulled the plug. So, will me checking the door switches do any good?
bryanpaul52 :

oh okay I thought you said there was power in the machine. what fuses are you refering to the house fuses ?

Customer : Yes...everything works except anything to do with the micro
bryanpaul52 :

okay there is an internal fuse in the microwave. its located behind the control panel. you havent check that yet have you ?

Customer : No
bryanpaul52 :

okay, now we are getting somewhere, sorry for the confusion. this has a 20 amp ceramic inline fuse behind the control panel. unplug the microwave and open the control panel up. you will see the fuse.

Full Size Image
when these go the whole microwave goes dead. they are not expensive and lowes carrys them. just bring the old fuse with you when you go.

Customer : This model is a built in above the cooktop. Where do I find a plug? Then how do I get the control panel off?...there are 2 indentations underneath the panel...do I use something to pry it off?
Customer : I found the plug...above the oven in cabinet...duh! Now how to pryo
Customer : Pry off front without damaging oven?
bryanpaul52 :

okay you need to shut the power off at the breaker then. there should be a screw behind the grill that goes along the top.

Full Size Image

Customer : Have to take off grill above the panel first, yes?
bryanpaul52 :

yes, I cant pull up your xact diagrams because this is older but if it has a grill along the top remove it . there should be a screw holding the contrrol panel. remove the screw and then slide the control up and let it hinge out towards you.

Customer : Control panel open...does it sit ontop of fan ...have silver ends and a white middle...approx. 1 1/2 inches long and can be popped out easily?
bryanpaul52 :

yes thats the fuse.it comes right out. it just snaps in

Customer : Ok...if that doesn't work, then I should get a new one or have a service tech come?
bryanpaul52 :

thats up to you. if that doesnt work which I think it will then replacing it may be a better option if you can get the right size to fit. if not a service call shouldnt be more than $80.00 plus parts on average. I think the fuse will fix it though.

bryanpaul52 :

please dont forget to press the accept button if I have helped you. its the only way I get paid for my work, thanks and best wishes, Bryan

Customer : Thanks for your help.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks....the fuse worked. Hurrah!
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
fantastic ! have a great Sunday ! and thanks. Bryan